Engine gurus please

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
PowerStroker did you figure it out? My first thought was possibly IPR not working 100%. Next guess would be ICP but that should have thrown a code. Let us know what you find.

John

DamnitDave13

Reaction score
I've read this thread, and have similar problems. I was pulling a pretty heavy load for about a thousand miles this weekend with my '99 F250 (about 150K on it). I've been using the gray bottle of Diesel Kleen and mixing it about 16oz (half small bottle) to a fill. At first I was pulling just fine, I tried to keep my speed at about 75. Slowly when hitting large hills or traffic I started to notice that if I dropped below 65, it would obviously kick down during acceleration again, when reaching the upper end of the RPM range 2600 - 2900 , before a shift) it seems like it would start to "load up" in non-diesel laymans terms. The motor would bog and a large cloud of light gray smoke would come out, but then in a few seconds it would come out of it, and be just fine at cruising 75mph (2000 to 2200 RMP I think). I initially thought fuel filter, so I figured I would change it after the trip. This morning (the morning after the trip), started the truck, let it warm up, as I always do, and when leaving the house on the first acceleration, from first to second, once it shifted it seemed to do it again, only worse. It almost killed it, but I shifted to neutral, let it sit the and idle really rough for a couple seconds and it slowly came out of it. Once the idle smoothed out a little, I waited for it to warm up a little more, maybe a couple minutes and it seems to drive better, but at cruising speed seemed to run rougher, but accelerated fine when floored. So once at work a took a couple minutes and changed the fuel filter. And no change really over lunch. I'm not much of a diesel mechanic, but pretty capable with gas engines. I plan on changing the oil (maybe at 6000 miles right now.) The throttle pedal would make sense to me if the motor simply fluctuated RPMS, but the whole "loading up" symtom with the smoke and the slow recovery thing seems to throw that off... I am unfamiliar with the acronyms CPS and ICP, but I have a manual at home and will look into that. I will definately check the injector / glow plug connectors as well. I thought maybe with temp affecting performance that it might be glow plug related. I have to take this truck on another 3000 mile towing trip next wednesday, so any other insight would be nice.

treefidy

Reaction score
power stroker 444
i also live in reno and i noticed that some of the fuel i was buying was making the truck idle funny, i went sown to SDI "sierra diesel injection" by the hilton and bought some red lind 85+ fuel treatment, i started putting a bottle in every fill up and man did it help, maybe you have dirty injectors, try a bottle of that stuff and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online