Engine build date?

jvencius

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to tell what the build date of my engine is? I was reading over on TDS (yes, I still lurk there from time to time) that some of the 7.3 engines that went into 2K2 model year trucks might have forged rods and not PMR's, based on when the engine was built. Since my truck was built in the first week of November 2001, I figure the engine was built 2 or 3 months before that and so it might fall into the forged-rod window. Is there a sticker on the engine with the build date or do I have to look up build date by engine serial#? If so, where is the engine serial number located?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Don't know where the serial number on Super Duties is...but if you've had service at Ford or IH...look at their reciept...it'll have your truck's production date.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JV,

Check out DI's website, they have a pictorial on how to check your engine for PMR's HERE .

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
the build date is on the sticker on one of the valve covers on my motor it has a actual date and a serial number... but i have heard that there is no real cutoff point, they sprinkeled in the pmr for a bit before they completely changed over... using the method 95 said would be the best bet

just curious, why are ya asking about the pmr's? are ya getting ready to soup the old gal up? ;Sweet

jvencius

Reaction score
jlayne said:
just curious, why are ya asking about the pmr's? are ya getting ready to soup the old gal up? ;Sweet

Nope--I'm just curious. Truthfully, I have no real need to make my truck into some monster towing machine or drag racer (we don't even have a TT or fiver yet), but when I hit 100K on the odometer I will be chipping the truck and so I'd like to know where I have to limit myself on power upgrades so that I don't make a new window in the block.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
For those of us that are ignorant, (me), is the forged or the powdered metal rods better for power enhancements?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wanderer said:
For those of us that are ignorant, (me), is the forged or the powdered metal rods better for power enhancements?
Forged, thats what we have in our trucks too Blair. The PMR's like to break at around 500 HP, take a look at that link I posted above to DI's website, you can see a forged rod lying next a PMR.

jvencius

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Forged, thats what we have in our trucks too Blair. The PMR's like to break at around 500 HP, take a look at that link I posted above to DI's website, you can see a forged rod lying next a PMR.

Hmmmm--I heard that past 400 HP on PMR's was getting into risky territory but I've never heard that 500 is the magic number. Either way, I can't imagine "needing" 400-500 HP to pull any TT Maggie and I would buy, but sometimes having safe power on hand isn't a bad thing. When I change my oil next month I'll have to pull that inspection plug and check out my rods--forged would be awesome but if I've got PMR's I'm not going to tear the engine out just to swap the rods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online