Electronic Fast Idle

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use one of these with an auto start?

The concern being idling up for those few seconds before the oil gets up to pressure.

Any ideas?

Max Power

Reaction score
I have it on my chevy. Give me a link to an example of that controller you want to use and I will see what advice I can offer.

The way I hooked mine up is so that I can start my truck and use an aux output (in my case trunk button) To go into high idle mode. I can also go back down to regular idle.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big K has one in his shop that he bought off of a gentleman that makes these in Idaho. In his instructions it says to start truck, wait for oil pressure to come up and then switch on high idle.

With my AUTO START FUNCTION, I wouldn't be out there to switch it on.

What other electronic high idlers are out there?

Max Power

Reaction score
I think you are not understanding me. The remote starter itself can be used to turn on the high idle. So your press an aux button like the trunk button and it will do the same thing as turning on the switch inside the cab.

B

Big K

The problem with the unit that Joe describes, Max, is that RPM must be manually set each time, and then the solenoid is switched on to mechanically hold that throttle position. You must be in the truck to use this system. It is inexpensive, and effective, though it may not be right for what Joe wants to do.

He's concerned about leaving it set upon shutdown, but I don't think that will work anyway, as a loss of 12v will allow the solenoid ram to retract. Sorry, Joe, didn't think of that earlier.

NB, looks like you need something totally electronic. Maybe get the high idle reflash? I get nervous thinking about taking my truck to the dealer, and moreso thinking about reflashing a truck that works good as is:(

Max Power

Reaction score
Gotcha. I would think it would be quite easy to modify it to work as intended. Can anyone provide me links to manufacturers of such high idle devices?

It would be very easy to make a box that would set the idle at a predetermined speed when pulsed. Very minor electical/electronic experience necessary. I am sure I could come up with something.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big K
The problem with the unit that Joe describes, Max, is that RPM must be manually set each time, and then the solenoid is switched on to mechanically hold that throttle position. You must be in the truck to use this system. It is inexpensive, and effective, though it may not be right for what Joe wants to do.

He's concerned about leaving it set upon shutdown, but I don't think that will work anyway, as a loss of 12v will allow the solenoid ram to retract. Sorry, Joe, didn't think of that earlier.

NB, looks like you need something totally electronic. Maybe get the high idle reflash? I get nervous thinking about taking my truck to the dealer, and moreso thinking about reflashing a truck that works good as is:(

:hail :hail Thanks for the enlightenment. I do need a fully electronic idler. What are the chances reflashing will mess things up.

Max, I do have extra acc. buttons on my control. I could do this with a fully electronic idler.

Max Power

Reaction score
That one would work with a remote starter no problem.

Last edited:

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big K

This is the criteria on the TSB for Fast Idler:

Once enabled, idle speed will slowly ramp up from 800 rpm to 1200 rpm when all of the following conditions are met:

1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

B

Big K

You'd meet the criteria for the OEM reflash, but note that it only works when below freezing. There are many situations when the high idle could be an advantage when the temp is above that. And the reflash still makes me nervous.

Your first aftermarket would surely work, but kinda pricey.

Your second link is to PS, who make excellent products. I just gave Gordon some info to help him make a boost fooler for Monroe Diesel, (Kyle). If you want, we can give him a call and see how his unit works. Sorry I didn't see that on his site recently:oops:

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, all 6 conditions have to be met on the TSB, which pretty much renders it useless.:rolleyes:

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the Practical Solutions high idler idle down at shut down or does it shut down at high rpm? I wouldn't think that shutting down at high idle would be good for the engine.

Does it ramp up rpm at startup?

Does anyone have one of these?

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

Why can't you use a small electronic timer run through a relay? You could then set it to hit the high idle mode after a predetermined time AFTER start up.

Want an easier one than that?

Cool, cause I got you covered. Install an oil pressure switch. This would provide a signal to the relay and trigger the high idle. You could run this through a simple on-off-on switch in the cab so you would have On-Off-Auto.

You would just have to be sure the switch was in the right position when you got out of the truck. Then, shutting off the unit would be just as easy. Don't forget the ability to jack up the RPMs on demand.

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online