Electrical Gremlin

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Ok, first off, I have a 1991 F-250 Ext 4wd Diesel 5spd. Here is my newest problem. The other morning driving down the road, I turned on my left turn signal and my little arrow never blinked. First thought that comes to mind, is bad flasher, or bad bulb. Not a problem, replaced the flasher and checked the bulbs. Bulb where good, flasher was bad cause I tried it in another truck, did the same thing. Well now here is my trouble, when I turn my blinkers on all the lights on my truck blink!! :dunno Also when I hit my brake petal all the marker lights and dash lights come on. I tried another flasher, and its still doing it!?!?!?!

I dont know where to even start. My engine just blew up, so im in the process of fixing that, but I dont want my truck burning down after I get the new engine in. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated!! ;Sweet

rttnron

Reaction score
I had an 83 that would behave that way when the 4 way flasher button was not in the full off position. Try pulling it all the way out.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Does your headlights go along for the ride also? The headlight wires could have melted into the brake/turn circuit. This would overload the flasher and cause it to blow. I would start pulling the wireloom back at the headlight sw and inspecting the wires for a meltdown. The headlight switch may be fried internally try replacing that. Do the headlight relay mod to prevent this from happening again. The full load of the headlights goes through the switch and generates a lot of heat. Over time, things degrade from this heat.

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Headlights are the only things that dont flash. I checked out the 4 way switch and that doesnt seem to be the problem. Ill check the wiring tomorrow. I just want to get this fixed, lol. Thanks so far guys!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My diagnosis :

That little tan wire coming out of the fuse-block has melted itself into one of the signal wires. ;Really

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suspect what midnight rider said, or a bad multifunction switch...If it were mine first thing I would do would be to test another multifunction switch plugged in at the base of the column....alll of your "symptoms" are wired and controlled by this one component.

Raiden7800

6.9L of Fury!
Reaction score
Check brake light bulbs physically, and replace if they are anything less than stellar. Elements can melt together and cause that exact issue.

~Rob~

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check brake light bulbs physically, and replace if they are anything less than stellar. Elements can melt together and cause that exact issue.

~Rob~

X2. This will also happen just by putting in the 1157 bulbs in the rear incorrectly. A bridge is created in the light that backfeeds the running light with the blinker blink.
You should also check your blinker fluid level. Sometimes when it gets low on kablink strange things happen.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My engine just blew up, so im in the process of fixing that,

On a side note:

Just as a follow up to your RPM post back in the fall. Were you still running high RPM when it died? Do you know what caused it to fail? Just curious as there has been some question about higher RPM and longevity of these IDI's.

Thanks

Heath

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
On a side note:

Just as a follow up to your RPM post back in the fall. Were you still running high RPM when it died? Do you know what caused it to fail? Just curious as there has been some question about higher RPM and longevity of these IDI's.

Thanks

Heath

Yea, I think the high RPMs killed the engine. I havent tore the engine down yet. I know i was eating oil badly, as in going 100 miles and go through 1 to 1 1/2 gals of oil. I think with the high reving, I ate the valve seals out, then the rings decided to go also. I didnt do a compression test, but I couldnt start my truck with out pull starting it.

As for the lil gremlin, I still havent found the problem. All the bulbs are good, there arent any burnt wires, and I replaced the flasher again. I have to get another turn signal switch, maybe that will fix it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online