No Class
Reaction score
Best spray cleaner that's safe for electrical connections etc
Truck sat lots of built up crud etc.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Tried coke ended up drinking all of it LOL
I'll give it a shot wonder if diet would work better or the same?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure it states NON FLAMABLE!
I've used ... Crc. Gunk, and a few others.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats worked for me is elbow grease and physically working the two connections...small wire brushes not much in way of spray cleaners remove the corrosion and such I have dealt with.

End result is also use DIELECTRIC grease on connections to help alleviate further issues.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have corrosion issues at contacts I suggest a spray product called DeoxIT D5,

www.caig.com is their website addy... It's not cheap, but it works when others don't.

It actually dissolves corrosion on contacts. Dielectric grease doesn't.. it blocks water and contaminants which cause corrosion when contacts are clean to start with..

Try some, you'll be glad you did. I was.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
If you have corrosion issues at contacts I suggest a spray product called DeoxIT D5,

www.caig.com is their website addy... It's not cheap, but it works when others don't.

It actually dissolves corrosion on contacts. Dielectric grease doesn't.. it blocks water and contaminants which cause corrosion when contacts are clean to start with..

Try some, you'll be glad you did. I was.
I'll check that out. Looks like exactly what I'm looking for.
In the meantime I'll give everything Some Steel Wool Love.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deox is the way to go. love that stuff. CRC has contact cleaner too, among other types of cleaners (electric motor cleaner, etc).

There are some sprays for battery terminals that work wonders on the batteries, usually two part systems - one cleans the corrosion and one is a conformal coating to stop it from happening.
I don't like to use coke on everything, like some do. The sugars and things will dry to a syrupy mess, can burn when dried up.

best way to do it I figure - clean the contacts, apply dielectric grease to the contacts, then this part might be extra overkill but use either conformal coating or some other outer coat like liquid tape. That spot shouldn't ever give you issues again LOL

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
deox is the way to go. love that stuff. CRC has contact cleaner too, among other types of cleaners (electric motor cleaner, etc).

There are some sprays for battery terminals that work wonders on the batteries, usually two part systems - one cleans the corrosion and one is a conformal coating to stop it from happening.
I don't like to use coke on everything, like some do. The sugars and things will dry to a syrupy mess, can burn when dried up.

best way to do it I figure - clean the contacts, apply dielectric grease to the contacts as long as it wont short out nearby components, then this part might be extra overkill but use either conformal coating or some other outer coat like liquid tape. That spot shouldn't ever give you issues again LOL
dielectric grease...dielectric opposes electrical conductivity thus how would a short happen?

A dielectric material (dielectric for short) is an electrical insulator that can be polarized by an applied electric field. When a dielectric is placed in an electric field, electric charges do not flow through the material as they do in a conductor.

Please belp me understand and others understand what you mean by cause a short.

Al

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dielectric grease...dielectric opposes electrical conductivity thus how would a short happen?

A dielectric material (dielectric for short) is an electrical insulator that can be polarized by an applied electric field. When a dielectric is placed in an electric field, electric charges do not flow through the material as they do in a conductor.

Please belp me understand and others understand what you mean by cause a short.

Al

Al, you are correct. I got it confused with something else - I was thinking of a product that was highly conductive, but anti-corrosive. I will have to see if its on the shelf, I think maybe ox gard was the stuff. Edited the prior post to prevent incorrect info from spreading

I knew better than that, need to drink some coffee. Used to use it on electronics that would condensate from sub-ambient cooling - would cause a cold-beer on a hot day effect.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON'T USE STEEL WOOL OR ANY EMERY CLOTH, THEY ARE CONDUCTIVE. SANDPAPER ONLY IF NEEDED.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, you are correct. I got it confused with something else - I was thinking of a product that was highly conductive, but anti-corrosive. I will have to see if its on the shelf, I think maybe ox gard was the stuff. Edited the prior post to prevent incorrect info from spreading

I knew better than that, need to drink some coffee. Used to use it on electronics that would condensate from sub-ambient cooling - would cause a cold-beer on a hot day effect.

Are u thinking NOALOX ???
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOALOX-4-oz-Anti-Oxidant-Compound-30-026/202276208

I use that stuff too...

Having the right goo for application gets friggen expensive....too many goo's in constant use. From elephant snot to noalox to dielectric to loctite n so many more...cupboard in shop is chaulk full

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noalox is the same stuff I'm thinking about basically, just a different name I think. Both contain aluminum and zinc..

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRC contact cleaner, small brass brushes, and dielectric grease.
Hard to harm anything with that combo.
Ether works in a pinch. WD40 used to be good, but they changed the
formula. Don't know if it is still useful for contacts.
Vaseline works if you can't get dielectric grease.

Do NOT use brake cleaner or engine degreasers :)