Electric vacuum pumps

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed one for the power brakes before?

Just curious if the smaller electric vacuum pumps used to power accessories on the later powerstrokes and higher end european cars would pull a high enough vacuum.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the vac pumps in the later PSD's are for hvac doors only. they do not have enough draw to handle a brake booster. check out the vac pump motor offerings for GM passenger cars in the mid 80's and 90's. I've found Cadi had the highest hit rate on finding these pumps. If you do find one, do get the vac switch on the booster too. that turns on/off the motor.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably CFM. The little pump will charge your vacuum can and booster, but after the first pump you might be in trouble.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
what about using a vaccum pump. then putting a 5-10 gallon reserve tank on?
or using a bigger vac pump like one from a ac machine, or even a medical one from an ambulance?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about using a vaccum pump. then putting a 5-10 gallon reserve tank on?
or using a bigger vac pump like one from a ac machine, or even a medical one from an ambulance?

Thats the idea, only not such a big tank. I will install a large vacuum chamber as a reservoir no matter what kind of pump I use. The only other choice that is readily availably is the thompson pumps used for race cars or other low vacuum hot rods, and those can be over $300. If I have to, I'll get one, but I don't really want to pay that much.

I also heard that ford used electric vacuum pumps on their mistangs and T birds in the 90s, but I can't find any details yet.

the accessory pumps do seem to be plentiful and cheap to find though, so even if I have to use 2 of them, it would be cheaper.