Electric Vac Pump?

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever take their mechanical vac pump out and use an electric vac pump? I have a hydro booster, so I don't risk much by going electric.

Will loosing a belt driven component like the vac pump free up load on the engine at all?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search for a Dorman 904-214
Stock electric vacuum pump off a power stroke.
I'm going to switch over one of these days...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doorman electric vac pump with factory mechanical removed.

Attachments

• user342961_pic108513_1346605498.jpg
    user342961_pic108513_1346605498.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 104

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most any electric vacuum pump will work on our engines but ONLY if you have the hydroboost brake system. Those electric pumps can't handle the vacuum needs of the vacuum power brakes.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good word of warning to anyone without hydro.

Anyone notice a difference on the buttdyno?

Any need for a cutoff circuit once a certain level is met? The pump is ok to run continuous?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you wont feel anything as far as power goes.nor will you actually see anything for economy increase (however it doesn't mean it's not there.)
the vac pump tuns on and off as required.you simply hook up a relay to supply it power when the key is turned on like you would a e-pump for fuel,and done.
it will run a few secs when you first turn the key on,and whenever you change HVAC settings.i personally used no canister as i don't swap settings much.you have 3-4 times going from vent to defrost for example until it kicks back on for another few seconds without a canister.

your C6 requires vac.you'll need to look into that,or someone else will need to help with info.id guess you might want to make sure to use a canister/reservoir.should be one already on your truck.
there is for the 93,but it was small,and i didn't want to vac the whole system,just the HVAC.
you'll probably just keep the whole stock vac line system.problem is,if you do that,you might want to replace all the vac lines cus a leak will mean the pump runs until it burns up.you could also use some sort of timer,where it passes current through for a max of 3-5 mins and kicks off,to help reduce the risk of pump burning up.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
doorman electric vac pump with factory mechanical removed.

Nice idea to wrap the intake filter housing. Also something for all to notice. See the turbo oil supply line on top of the turbo housing. Also see where Banks installs the oil pressure switch... Thats where mine has been for many years plus... I ran a mechanical Isspro gauge off that same location and always had great oil pressure on the gauge.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I replaced the rotten coffee can when I bought the truck. The PO had the trans replaced with a local shop rebuild but coulnd't get it to shift right. He was trying to adjust things but didn't realize he simply had to vac.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I kinda forgot about the vacuum required for the C6 trans. I really don't know if an electric vacuum pump will handle the C6. I do know the vacuum to the trans is a closed system so maybe it will work.. I'm not an expert on the C6 vacuum used either...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online