Electric pump conversion question

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Have you checked that you are getting 12v to the fuel shut off solenoid? Is that by any chance the wire you tapped off of? If so, check all your connections there.

Rock

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air intrusion takes 3-5 rounds of cranking for 10 secs max to purge, even with an electric pump. You might be able to run the pump for 5+ mins and have it eventually purge the air, if you have the filter tied in to the return line system like it comes from the factory.
So from everything I have read recently These engines won't flood? Is this correct? Just the pump run for a min first?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
So from everything I have read recently These engines won't flood? Is this correct? Just the pump run for a min first?

I'm not sure. I think only one cyl could flood at most due to the mechanical injection pump only putting fuel to one cyl at a time but I think the injector would have to be really bad to allow that to happen. If you are worried about flooding, disconnect the fuel shutoff solenoid wire so it can't open to let fuel into the IP while you're running the pump to purge air from the return lines.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I have personally never heard of any diesel engine flooding like a carbureted gasser. Cubey brings up an interesting point, but out of all the priming and cold starts on a mechanical engine, I have yet to see one flood, but that just my experience. Being that diesels are obviously compression ignition, they are not picky to how much fuel gets dumped in the cylinder (any kind of IDI especially), there will just be a lot of unburnt fuel going out the exhaust ( white smoke and money). It's not like a gasser where you have to be mindful of drowning out the spark with too much fuel.
Excessive low idle time and cold starts would be the closest thing to a diesel flooding, since there is a lot of unburnt fuel in the cylinders. Priming is a different story though....if you don't have enough fuel to the injectors to start it, you don't have enough fuel to flood it...

Rock

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.