Electric fan conversion

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
Just came back from 5 day holiday to Somerset, PA with my '94 F350 7.3L IDI, with an 8' slide in camper and towing my motorcycle on a trailer. For the first time I had no hickups of any kind (600 mile return trip), and burned 50/50 veggie oil/diesel 99% of the time. No fuel leaks, new electric pump worked good, only problem was having to replace the fuel ahead of the pump because of the veggie oil cleaning up the fuel tank, and getting clogged up.

Upon returning to St. Catharines, ON (home), after unloading the camper from the truck, I heard a loud CLANG!! when shutting off the engine. Started it again, and everything seemed to be fine. Today I noticed a big wet patch on the gravel driveway under the rad, and looking inside, the FAN had come off the shaft!! Of course, it scraped the heck out of my 3 month old $440 aluminum rad in several places, which caused the antifreeze leak ($120 worth of antifreeze just put in too!)
I had never heard of these fans coming off by themselves!
Anyway, I'm going to do now the electric fan conversion, which I was going to put off until next year. I wanted to take a break from working on the truck and enjoy it for a while the rest of the season.

Does anyone have any new wisdom to add to the existing threads describing the conversion using a Windstar setup?
Thanks in advance for your input.

PS I just about had enough of this truck, I'm seriously considering a newer Dodge with the Cummins engine. Only problem, I've put so much time, mostly, and of course also some money in trying to make it a reliable machine. The $64,000 question is: when do you pull the plug??? and say enough is enough???
Dan

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Hi,
Just came back from 5 day holiday to Somerset, PA with my '94 F350 7.3L IDI, with an 8' slide in camper and towing my motorcycle on a trailer. For the first time I had no hickups of any kind (600 mile return trip), and burned 50/50 veggie oil/diesel 99% of the time. No fuel leaks, new electric pump worked good, only problem was having to replace the fuel ahead of the pump because of the veggie oil cleaning up the fuel tank, and getting clogged up.

Upon returning to St. Catharines, ON (home), after unloading the camper from the truck, I heard a loud CLANG!! when shutting off the engine. Started it again, and everything seemed to be fine. Today I noticed a big wet patch on the gravel driveway under the rad, and looking inside, the FAN had come off the shaft!! Of course, it scraped the heck out of my 3 month old $440 aluminum rad in several places, which caused the antifreeze leak ($120 worth of antifreeze just put in too!)
I had never heard of these fans coming off by themselves!
Anyway, I'm going to do now the electric fan conversion, which I was going to put off until next year. I wanted to take a break from working on the truck and enjoy it for a while the rest of the season.

Does anyone have any new wisdom to add to the existing threads describing the conversion using a Windstar setup?
Thanks in advance for your input.

PS I just about had enough of this truck, I'm seriously considering a newer Dodge with the Cummins engine. Only problem, I've put so much time, mostly, and of course also some money in trying to make it a reliable machine. The $64,000 question is: when do you pull the plug??? and say enough is enough???
Dan

I have herd of this happeneing im sure your feeling real sick right now, cause i would be:puke:, i belive you are suppose to put the locktite to the threads on the fan, somepeople run electric fans on here i plan on converting to them one day

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ouch, sorry to hear about that. my BIL had that happen but it didnt come unscrewed, his shaft snapped off.

i am looking at converting to.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
At least my conscience is clean, since I never touched the fan assembly before. Yes, I would assume locktite must be necessary, but with it being a left hand thread, how do you figure it could come unscrewed? It baffles the mind. Unless, the clutch is not releasing properly, and upon shutting off the engine, inertia is knocking the clutch loose on its shaft... who knows...
Dan

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you got it with inertia, diesel engines have a much more violent stop compaired to a gasser with the high compression ratio.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Unless, the clutch is not releasing properly, and upon shutting off the engine, inertia is knocking the clutch loose on its shaft... who knows...
Dan

That's it right there. If the clutch isn't working right or the shaft wasn't completely tight, it will unscrew when the engine shuts down. What brand of radiator do you have? I'm looking at changing the Chevy unit, as it's too small and needs help.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan

NEVER CHANGE HORSES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CREEK; unless, of course, you are definitely getting the most advantageous end of the swap.

Also, anything newer than 1993 is gonna have more headaches than you already have, even a brand new shiny one = pure junk.

As for the fan un-screwing, usually this happens on the first shut-down after having it off for whatever reason.

Before I ran it again, I would really examine all possible reasons for this happening, as your case is a very un-usual occurance and there is a reason; you just need to find it.

The IDI doesn't shut down near so violently as a Cummins, and I have numerous Cummins with PINNED fan-clutches, never having one to self un-screw, even with plenty of anti-sieze slathered on the threads.

Stranger things can happen, though.

I do make it a habit to "feel" of the fan, every time the hood is up for whatever reason, just to make sure.;Sweet

I believe good electric fans are a far better way to go, though, and have that on my list of things to do.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you the make of the rad, I'm sorry. I remember it was made in Thailand, it's all aluminum, fit and finish was very good, and it seemed to be doing its job OK. Much thinner than the 4 row original, though, I believe only 2 rows in it.
I bought it from a small local guy that works out of his home, I'll find out the name when I call him tomorrow to re-order. It was $441. Cad dlrs out the door. Automotive Warehouse wanted $721 for a rad. I haven't been able to find one on eBay for the IDI.
I'm planning to have the new fans wired to only use the high speed, I think. My question: where to buy and install a temperature sensor to operate the relay?

Dan

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that junkyard electric fans off of larger cars tend to throw more air then some of the aftermarket units. I have paid alot of money in the past for aftermarket fans only to find out that they didnt move squat for air. I have bought some factory fans at wrecking yards, even small ones off of the foreign jobs, that blew like hell.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that junkyard electric fans off of larger cars tend to throw more air then some of the aftermarket units. I have paid alot of money in the past for aftermarket fans only to find out that they didnt move squat for air. I have bought some factory fans at wrecking yards, even small ones off of the foreign jobs, that blew like hell.

Everything ^^^he^^^ said.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online