Electric Fan Clutch???

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the threads are the same. Also I wonder if the switch is just a on/off type temp switch like the ones that come with the cheaper electric fan controls. If they are both correct then it would be as easy as figuring out the wires and hooking everything up. You could probably make the plastic 6.0L fan work even if you had to trim it a little bit. I would see if the threads where the same between the two but I don't really want to go to all the trouble of pulling the fan clutch off of my 04 and seeing if the threads are the same on the old IDI fan clutch I have laying by the garage.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Interesting. Guess it depends on if it will mount up to the fan/pump pulley and if you can figure out a way to wire it to the temp sensor to engage it. If any body can, I'm sure you'll be the one.:D

Tom

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Looks like the Dodge POS that usually ends up with the wires wrapped tightly around it, and the broken fan in the radiator, when it seizes up. We've had 2 Dodges in the shop, with that problem. It normally destroys the shroud, too.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The name escapes me, but there IS a company that manufactures electric-clutched fans for big trucks.

They also make them to fit the IDIs and the B-Cummins.

Some of the guys on the Dodge board have them and like them.

They don't look like the one pictured; they look more like an A/C compressor clutch with the wires on the inboard side of things.

Contrary to how I used to think, I still figure a purely electric fan is going to be the best solution.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM ford fans like the aerostar, taurus, crown vic and T-bird are all made by siemens ,germany. They are also brushless, so the don't really have wear parts other than the ball bearings. Think of them like really really big computer tower fans that are weather proof.

knowing this, I would agree that electric fans are the way to go, but I wouldn't trust any aftermarket setup. Running dual fans also helps with reliability.

Might also result in a longer life span of the water pump as well with less weight on the impeller bearings.

Last edited:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
reminds me of the fans that always went bad on the trailblazers, funny part is they even caused the trans to shift funny.....:puke:

-Jon

zpd307

Reaction score
i thought this was discussed a while back. and with the reverse rotation of the serp belt setup, that it wouldnt. :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online