EGT Question

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my truck (1986 6.9 with a non wastegated turbo) usually runs no hotter than 4-500 EGT when i tow it jumps up to around 800 at the hottest i have gotten it... well i will be towing an OBS extended cab up a pretty steep grade on my way to vegas in 2 weeks so just curious what is a safe number to keep the EGT at while pulling a steep grade? thank you in advance for the help

gandalf

Reaction score
You should top out at 1150°F. Start backing off when you hit that. You can go above that momentarily, but not long. You're dealing with the melting point of aluminum, and you don't want to push your luck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What Ken posted is what most will tell you. Personally I feel 1050 is my max. Reason I use that temp is I run what I feel is a safe limit on an unknown pyro from Banks 10 years ago. How close to the soft melting point of aluminum I get can't really be known till I melt a piston. Then its too late for anything to save my engine. How accurate your pyro is has yet to be determined. Slight testing of higher limits is how you know but are you sure... I'm just a little concerned what your limit is on your pyro. Its damned tuff testing these out.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a banks pyro from about 10 years ago on the truck... i feel 1000 will be my max and hopefully i dont hit that...

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and what would be a good mod to lower EGT... i have a non waste gated banks turbo and a 3" exhaust... what else should i do to lower EGT as much as possible

gandalf

Reaction score
I forgot to mention an aspect which will effect this whole deal. Where is your probe located? Ideally, it should be on the exhaust manifold, as near the cylinders as possible. That, of course, is not always possible. Mine is on the driver's side downpipe just after the exhaust manifold. The EGT will naturally cool as it travels farther from the cylinders. An EGT measured after a turbo, for instance, will be expected to be lower than right after the manifold.

Take this into account when deciding what max to run.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its high on the drivers side downpipe just like yours... hopefully i wont go any hotter than 1000* if i do ill just drop a gear or pull off to cool for a minute or get to the top depending on which is closest and most fesable

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll find out pretty quick you have a lot of control over the EGT's with your right foot. Keep the rev's up, and use drive by the EGT gauge and you'll be fine. See you in a couple weeks!

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya see you in a couple weeks... going to do an oil change next week and the truck will be ready...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a maxed out pump an have no trouble keeping the egt under control it doesn't seen to really climb past 1050 or 1000 usually around 900. The biggest problem I have seen with these trucks is the coolant temps they will slow you down first. It will climb as fast as a monkey on a steep grade. An I have a brand new fan clutch. Another thing to really lower all your temps is to tow at night that's what I prefer to do.

Reaction score
Quoted directly from the Banks Sidewinder Owner's Manual:

"Your Banks Sidewinder turbocharged diesel engine should exhibit the following operating characteristics: Cruise Conditions (constant 60mph on Level Road): EGT should be approximately 400°F to 600°F; boost gauge, if so equipped, should read 1 to 2 pounds. High Load Conditions (uphill with heavy load): EGT should typically be 900°F to 1000°F, with 1050°F as a safe maximum. It is important to realize that diesels, unlike gasoline engines, run cooler with additional air. Exhaust gas temperature rises as more fuel is added. Turbocharging a diesel typically lowers the EGT. Normal cruise condition EGT for a normally aspirated (non-turbocharged) diesel engine is typically 600°F to 800°F. As noted above, cruise condition EGT for a turbocharged diesel is typically 400°F to 600°F. This lower EGT translates directly to lower piston and valve temperatures, and significantly increased engine life. It is also important to understand that turbocharged boost pressures are load related, that is the turbocharger makes boost only when called upon to do so (by load requirements). The turbo will not “make boost” with the transmission in neutral, but makes boost proportional to the load. Long uphill grades, with a heavy load, will result in maximum boost. In other words, the turbo makes boost only when it is needed. This characteristic makes turbochargers so attractive that the vast majority of long haul trucks and off-road earth moving equipment are equipped with turbochargers. Turbocharging typically results in more power and torque, better fuel economy and increased engine life."

But, as other mentioned, you have to take those numbers with a grain of salt depending on your probe location. Banks' probe is over by the turbo, so if you're measuring in/at the manifold, your numbers will be a bit higher. Exactly how much is unknown, but I've heard the numbers at the manifold can read 150°-300°F higher than where Banks measures.

Mike

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that info on Their website but am unsure if it applied to my set up as i have an earlier non wastegated turbo i dont believe mine is the sidewinder just wanted to make sure i was right in thinking 1000* would be the highest i would personally want to run the truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Am I reading this correctly.. The pyro is located in the down pipe... That means it in the pipe AFTER the turbo. If thats where it is you need to run an even lower temp because the turbo is using up much of the heat to spin it. Please explain..

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IM pretty sure thats where it is... ill have to take a look when i get off work... there is a sending unit there... guess i should double check but that is where i always thought it was

Reaction score
I saw that info on Their website but am unsure if it applied to my set up as i have an earlier non wastegated turbo i dont believe mine is the sidewinder just wanted to make sure i was right in thinking 1000* would be the highest i would personally want to run the truck

They made a non-wastegated Sidewinder. It's what I have on mine. This isn't to be confused with their older model, the one that uses the square air filter.

1000° is a safe max for sure, but depending on where your probe is, may be a bit of overkill. In the manifold, my guess would be something closer to 1200° would be safe.

Mike