EGT Probe Questions

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im installing my gauges tomorrow and had a question.

Where do i put my probe ?

I have one designed for a gasser so it is a hose clamp style instead of a threaded but it will work until i do a turbo. Do i put it in one of the cylinders on the manifold or do i put it down past the collector piece ?

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
drivers side exhaust manifold. i have the same type of probe, but i screwed mine up and it leaks. but the is a spot there that it should work no problem

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
ive always been told to keep it as close to them motor as possible. this way you get a more accurate reading.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I drilled a 7/16 hole on the top of the exhaust manifold. I tapped 1/4 NPT and then threaded my thermocouple in. Its easier to "step-up" to 7/16 by using smaller sizes (ie 1/8,1/4,3/8 etc)

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Im installing my gauges tomorrow and had a question.

Where do i put my probe ?

I have one designed for a gasser so it is a hose clamp style instead of a threaded but it will work until i do a turbo. Do i put it in one of the cylinders on the manifold or do i put it down past the collector piece ?

Driver side exhaust manifold on top about 1/2 way between the front and back. Seems to be accurate and works great.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Now i have 3 different answers ?

My instructions say drill a 1/4" hole and clamp it up.

The instructions LIE. They also tell you to put it post turbo,when you have a turbo. If you do that By the time you get a reading post turbo your pistons are melted into the pan. Put it in the manifold toward the rear to get an average reading of that one bank. If not in the manifold right into the y-pipe where it meets the manifold.

If your probe is the clamp type then drill and you clamp it. If it was a thread one you would drill and tap

gatorman21218

Reaction score
IDK about a hose style I am just telling you how I did mine. My probe was 1/4 NPT. Thats pretty much the only way to go if you want it to be in the manifold. You can put a hose style in the crossover pipe just remember you want this thing as close to the cylinder as possible to get the most accurate. The general consensus though is if you in the crossover pipe within a few inches of the manifold then you should be fine. Just dont put it back by the muffler (if you have one) or something ignorant like that

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK about a hose style I am just telling you how I did mine. My probe was 1/4 NPT. Thats pretty much the only way to go if you want it to be in the manifold. You can put a hose style in the crossover pipe just remember you want this thing as close to the cylinder as possible to get the most accurate. The general consensus though is if you in the crossover pipe within a few inches of the manifold then you should be fine. Just dont put it back by the muffler (if you have one) or something ignorant like that

I was thinking drivers side manifold, first cylinder at the front, and it would be about 1" off the side of the head.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
mine is on the passenger manifold halfway between the rear cyl and flange.. Seems to get a pretty accurate reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert