EGT limit

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
I think the high EGt's have more to do with drastically shortening the life of your turbo than anything else.

Big Red CC Dually

Reaction score
dego_red said:
I just wonder about all the people out there that have no guages to tell them when to back off. Never heard of any motors melting down in the U-Haul trucks, where most renters keep their foot glued to the floor, I was one of them before I got my first diesel. I've heard of rods going through the sides of blocks, but not melt downs...... :***:

red

RED,

With a stock truck it is not an issue, the U-Hauls are stock. It's when you add a hot chip, or injectors etc. that there starts to be a problem...especially if the original down pipe in a 94 - 97 is still in place. Try a set of injectors, hot chip and original down pipe with a load up a hill and you will see an engine that will not be long for this world.

BJS

Reaction score
dego_red said:
I just wonder about all the people out there that have no guages to tell them when to back off. Never heard of any motors melting down in the U-Haul trucks, where most renters keep their foot glued to the floor, I was one of them before I got my first diesel. I've heard of rods going through the sides of blocks, but not melt downs...... :***:

red

Stock programming isn't hot enough to get you really above 12k, I ran my truck w/ guages & all else stock for a few months and in that time I had 17k of trailer behind me and even @ full throttle I couldn't get the pryo hot enough to tell me to back off though I did manage to get the boost way up there :D

FatDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dego_red said:
I just wonder about all the people out there that have no guages to tell them when to back off. Never heard of any motors melting down ....red

But it IS a real problem. I live on a hill and me and my neighbor each have a F350 turbo. I put a chip, gauges, and 4" exhaust on mine and let my neighbor drive it once to see what he was missing. he loved the extra power and went right out and got a chip for his F350, but NO gauges -cuss to save some money. Well I have told him a dozen times that when I pull up the hill onto my driveway, I am pushing 600 degrees even after driving 25 mph up the street and with my guages I know how long to let it cool. He doesn't have guages and I often hear him just turn off his engine when he pulls up his driveway. (and we both pull heavy trailers)
The moral of the story: My turbo will last 400,000 miles. :angel: My neighbors will last until later on this year. :puke:

dieselwiezil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have argued this point till im blue in the face with my instructor. Our manual says 1000-1100*F max of 1400*F preturbo. 925-975*F post turbo max 1000*F]

Jeff

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timbeaux38 said:
Got a buddy who bought an 03 7.3- it has a 3 pos chip, Ats Turbo housing, 4inch exh, intake, and supposedly a beefy TC and valve body - his pyro probe is post turbo- what EGT should he stay under- he says he can get up to 1200 with the chip on "kill"

Tim, He bought a Ford not a Dodge. No worries mate! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel