Egt and coolant temp

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put a turbo on my 7.3 idi everything has been going great. But that all ended this last weekend. I went to haul my 17ft camper and my fourwheeler and a bunch of other stuff up to are hunting camp. The only issue still comes that I can't get over quarter throttle without my egts being at 1200. There is no smoke egts are low at every other time. The coolant temp would come up when the egts went up. I'm trying to figure out what to do. It has r&d 80cc pump and stage one injectors as of when I put the turbo on. Exhaust is 3 down pipe to 4inch to an axle dump with 8inch tip.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the timing. Try advancing it a hair and see what it does.

Remember, though, that your engine can't handle the output of that pump, really... it's still designed for a turbo, so the pump will flow more than you have air for.
Hence high EGTs, as you are running a 'richer' mixture than otherwise, when you give it throttle.

edit:

Disregard, I think. The statement above was based on you being NA, per your signature. Upon closer reading, I think you have a turbo?
What sort of boost are you seeing?

Assuming you have a turbo, advancing the timing is definitely something to try - a few degrees can seriously increase power and decrease EGTs.

Last edited:

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check your cooling system. Might be time for a GOOD flush and refill? Check your timing, are you running stock air intake?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check your cooling system. Might be time for a GOOD flush and refill? Check your timing, are you running stock air intake?

Just put new rad in the pickup about 2 months ago with new coolant. Air intake is custom. Would the water cause the temp to come up if it's wore out? That's the only thing on the cooling system that hasn't been changed.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the timing. Try advancing it a hair and see what it does.

Remember, though, that your engine can't handle the output of that pump, really... it's still designed for a turbo, so the pump will flow more than you have air for.
Hence high EGTs, as you are running a 'richer' mixture than otherwise, when you give it throttle.

edit:

Disregard, I think. The statement above was based on you being NA, per your signature. Upon closer reading, I think you have a turbo?
What sort of boost are you seeing?

Assuming you have a turbo, advancing the timing is definitely something to try - a few degrees can seriously increase power and decrease EGTs.

Yes just put a turbo on it. Only seeing 7 to 10psi

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about water temps yet - high egts mean more heat throughout the system, not just the exhaust system.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about water temps yet - high egts mean more heat throughout the system, not just the exhaust system.

Okay I advanced the pump today a little bit. drove it around and saw that the coolant temp was at around 210 and the egts sat at 300 idling. I could get into more without them sky rocketing but still can't get it past half way. On one of the grade I had to put it in second and couldn't grab third cause the egt would start climbing.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep advancing it until you start /losing/ power compared to where you were(at 2k+ RPM) and then back it off a little from there.

If you lose power as you advance it, retard it until you feel power loss, then advance it if there is any gray/white/blue smoke on acceleration.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something seems off here. I can easily get 13+ psi of boost off my stock pump (turned up, of course). With a RD-80 you should be able to get at least that or more. More boost=lower EGT's (to a point). You sure you don't have any boost leaks?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something seems off here. I can easily get 13+ psi of boost off my stock pump (turned up, of course). With a RD-80 you should be able to get at least that or more. More boost=lower EGT's (to a point). You sure you don't have any boost leaks?

I'm going to look the exhaust over tomorrow to see if it has any. I would like to see that kinda of boost.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, though, no smoke = no more boost needed.

You probably aren't giving it enough fuel to actually produce that boost.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know with me I was having problems driving around town with my truck because the fan was always locking up on a 90* day. I have now figured out that was mostly due to a massive exhaust leak I had at the slip joint on my up pipes. I gained 2 mpg .5lbs of boost and my coolant temps stay down because I am using all of the air i have instead of losing drive psi. something to think about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online