EC-1 coolant in IDI?

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
I've seen various scattered threads on this subject but not a whole lot of helpful information.

I can readily get Cat EC-1 coolant and I would prefer to use it if I could, as it's premixed and has cavitation protection, plus it's only like $13/gallon for 50/50 premix. My copper radiator is getting replaced with an aluminum radiator, so that aspect of using ELC wouldn't be an issue. Block will get flushed and blown out with compressed air to avoid coolant contamination.

From what I understand, the oil cooler seals are susceptible to running OAT coolants. My oil cooler is leaking oil like a sieve, so I need to replace the seals anyways. Since it's going to have new seals, will running EC-1 in a IDI be a concern anymore?

Oldtowntrucks

Reaction score
I just did my '93 IDI (stock rad) with the oldschool green Ford ESE-M97B44-A concentrate, supplemented with Motorcraft VC8 SCA (from rockauto.com). Mixing 50/50 is a nuisance but isn't too much of a pain as long as your patient & have proper safety gear/do it in a ventilated area.
I saw lots of posts in my research say the CAT EC-1 is pretty much the way to go now, as you said, it's premixed & is the "new standard" as the green oldschool coolant is being phased out more or less. Make sure you do your own research though. My local two shops sold me gasser coolant "ya, that'll work bud" (returned it) & the other told me to run big rig orange new coolant (hmmm, naw). Needless to say, they didn't know what they were talking about. Took me a while to find the old green stuff, but it's out there still!

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Part of the reason I'm hoping to run EC-1 is it's hard to find green coolant that's SCA-compatible (not all green coolants are made the same!). I've seen a few that explicitly say they are NOT compatible with SCA additives. Not sure what makes them incompatible with SCAs but it would just be peace of mind to know I have a readily available coolant that requires little maintenance.

I'm hoping someone else can chime in too.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Ive been running fleetcharged ECL coolant (purpleish) for some time now. Original brass rad, test it twice per year, havent had to add anything to it yet, going on 30k miles. Bought it concentrated, pretty sure its cheaper than 13/gallon

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the "Ford ESE-M97B44-Aconcentrate, supplemented with Motorcraft VC8 SCA "

Napa had the sca compatible coolant.

I say no to the cat ec-1 , has the "H.O.A.T." that I believe is bad for the idi.

There are others on here with a better recommendation for ELC coolant.

Also I wouldnt use 50/50 , personal choice

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Zerex G05 or Zerex HD ELC coolants. Both good cavitation protection, DOES NOT NEED SCAs, long life and decently available.

I also checked - they don't have issues with older seal materials.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
As a maintenance manager for garbage truck fleets since the mid 80’s I lived through the phase in of extended life coolants (the red ones) EC-1 and others. It is the standard now for Cummins. I love the extended life coolants 2 good features, extended life and no SCA’s. Everything else I HATE!!!!!
They are an acid that eats seals. Cummins even admits they don’t have an answer. Simple orings fail regularly.
If you read the MSDS now SDS on EC-1 you will find the acids in it. Then go to an oring comparability chart. The oring material suggested AFLAS, has only fair to good resistance to the acids.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Virtually every Cummins engine 2013 and up in my 100 truck fleet either had a leak from a print-o- seal gasket or an oring by 5,000 hours (2.5 to 3 years daily running) These engines were built for ELC. I cringe when people convert old equipment to ELC. I do not run it in IDI’s or 7.3 PSD. Later models that require some of the ELC features you are stuck but the older stuff.....no way ELC. It is made to leak.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a maintenance manager for garbage truck fleets since the mid 80’s I lived through the phase in of extended life coolants (the red ones) EC-1 and others. It is the standard now for Cummins. I love the extended life coolants 2 good features, extended life and no SCA’s. Everything else I HATE!!!!!
They are an acid that eats seals. Cummins even admits they don’t have an answer. Simple orings fail regularly.
If you read the MSDS now SDS on EC-1 you will find the acids in it. Then go to an oring comparability chart. The oring material suggested AFLAS, has only fair to good resistance to the acids.
This is why you find an ELC coolant that uses alternate chemicals in it, like the Zerex G-05 coolant I mentioned. It contains mainly sodium nitrite as an additive, which doesn't affect much. There are other minor concentrations of stuff that might, but nothing that is "not recommended" for anything other than, say, Acrylic rubber, something I've never seen used.

I invite you to check out the SDS for Zerex G-05 and tell me if you see anything else: https://sds.valvoline.com/

Dregs Garage

Reaction score
Newbie here<————— has anyone heard of Evan’s waterless coolant?
Or even bucked up and bought some to try in their IDI?

Robm45497

Reaction score
i use Evans in my dirt bikes and my kids flattrackers. Did not check into it for a idi. I have recommended it to others for their hot rods.