Eating glow plugs

hdbobber

Reaction score
New to site and I have a 88' f250 7.3 that keeps eating glows plugs. I just put a new ip, injectors, return lines, and a lift pump on it. The truck has not been 5 miles since I have done it. I use it only around the farm for right now till I can get it running right. I used the test light to test the glow plugs and found 5 of them bad. (I put new (8) Delphi in it the day I replace everything). I got to get it running right to start driving back to work. Any ideas on what could be happening with this? I read some of the tech writeups and still can't figure it out. I got a new gp relay I fixing to put on it to see if the could be it. Thanks for any help.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. You shouldnt have a problem because your truck has the later style controller, unless something strange is going on.
Sometimes running too advanced on the timing will ruin glow plugs but I would think they would need more time then just the five miles you say they have on them. I have not used Delphi glow plugs before, maybe they are crap from the get go. Better off to use motorcraft plugs if you can and if not, my personal next choice is bosch or delco.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never tried delphi glowplugs but as a rule the delphi parts we use in the shop are excellant. You may have the glow plug relay sticking and constantly supplying power to them, burning them up.:dunno

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Adam said, maybe it's the relay stuck closed.... did you check the relay w/ a test light to see if it 'shuts off' after glow plugging the engine?

hdbobber

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I just replaced the gp relay and it seems to be the problem.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Mint! Hopefully its fixed. When you replace the plugs, if you havn't already, do invest in the motorcraft plugs if you can. They do sometimes fail like the others, but if and when they do, they don't swell. That's why we like em...now if I had the money, I could practice what I preach.