E4OD Trans swap

rap69ri

Rick
Reaction score
I'm in the process of converting my '83 4x2 into a 4x4. I've picked up a '88 F-250 for matching axles and a bed in much better shape, but unfortunately it's a small block and the tranny and transfer case won't bolt up. I would like to bolt up an E4OD, but I'm not sure what year(s) and from what engine will bolt up to the 6.9. Does anyone here know what will work?

Thanks,

Rick

gandalf

Reaction score
I can see several problems right off. Whatever transmission you select must come from a diesel. The same transmission from a gas engine will not bolt up to your engine.

The E4OD is controlled by a computer. Our trucks did not have that computer until Ford installed the E4OD. So, your truck does not have the computer necessary to run an E4OD. You'd have to connect that into the truck also, I think with great difficulty. I'm sure its been done, but not easily.

If its an automatic you want, find a C-6 from a diesel. Thats a relatively easy swap. I've never done it, but I'm sure there are people here who can help with procedure.

rap69ri

Rick
Reaction score
The truck has a C6 in it now, but it's for a 2x4 so I need to swap it out. I was hoping to get OD, but that sounds like it'll be more aggrevation than it's worth. Thanks for the info.

suv7734

Reaction score
There are a few who have done it. If you can get the control module that belongs with the transmissiom that will help. There is also an aftermarket control (Bauman makes it) that replaces the factory piece and people who have them really like them because it's easy to change the programming. Look up member Okiegringo, he has one and I believe has a write-up in his signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent