E4OD to ZF-5 swap update.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I think I have just about everything I need now. I sold the cap off my 91 parts truck for $150 this morning, while I was there I pulled the std tilt steering column and clutch pedal assembly out and drug home my 2nd ZF as well.....Hard slugging in the snow, having a cold and sore throat didn't help either...LOL...Here's some pics of everything, let me know if you think I'm missing something.;Sweet Got the NP205 put back together, just waiting for the two 1350 series yokes that I ordered from Drive Products to come in from Vancouver.....Mount the ZF, fab the NP crossmember and hook up the shafts, sounds simple but I'm sure it will be a fair amount of work....I have to contact Northwest fabworks in BC, I was told they make a cable shifter kit for the NP205 divorced t-cases.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
While you have the peddle assembly out and its easy to see check out the shaft bushings. They tend to wear out causing more pressure on the shafts. This extra pressure will cause the firewall to flex and finally break. Some members have had to reinforce the firewalls after this problem. Ford even makes a repair plate for this. Another better idea brought to you by Ford engineers....cookoo

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Good to know, these pedals came out of my 91 F150 4x4 showing 174KM's on the clock. The shafts are good and tight....I just assumed they would work with my ZF, am I correct??? I have the correct pushrod for the ZF master cylinder. I was suprised at how easy the steering column and pedals came out, hope they go in that easy...LOL....Might need some measurements on where to drill the hole for the M/C.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuart, I have here at work in Oliver at the wrecker....a Divorced mount NP 203 so ifn you wanted to at a later time upgrade to dual transfercase setup you could get a married NP 205 and attach the reduction box from the divorce mount 203 and voila instant 1:1, 2:1, and the final 4:1 low range...just a though!

BTW if you want me to look into some of the parts you need for that 205 let me know...

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Good to know, these pedals came out of my 91 F150 4x4 showing 174KM's on the clock. The shafts are good and tight....I just assumed they would work with my ZF, am I correct??? I have the correct pushrod for the ZF master cylinder. I was suprised at how easy the steering column and pedals came out, hope they go in that easy...LOL....Might need some measurements on where to drill the hole for the M/C.

Same pedals across the board from '84 to '91 so you are good to go.

'92 the mounts changed along with the firewall in preparation for an airbag column.

Adrianspeeder

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Good info on the firewall and columns, thanks....Al, if you can find either of the 205 parts I'm looking for then please do....No luck so far here on the east coast. I gooped up the crank in the cover so it shouldn't leak but I would like to replace it if possible and I have to do something with the speedo hole either way....That should be easy to plug.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the pedal assy was different between the 80-86 trucks and the 87-91? The reason being, I need to go get said pedal assy in preparation for my C6 to T19 swap. Perhaps it was a different part that Jake S was referring to. I don't want to have a problem with it once I get everything here. Thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, it doesn't matter for Stuart's application since both his donor vehicle and his rig are 87-91, but it might for me. I will be sure to find an 80-86 for the pedal assy. Hopefully its not too hard to pull out once the steering column comes loose. How do you check for the proper tightness in the pedals as you all were talking about?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had the steering column and pedals out in less than an hour, piece of cake. Both my rig and my parts mule are 91's....Just check your pedal pivot bushings for wear, sloppy pedal action.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin who's a member here said he had the mech. linkage on a T18 or T19 in an 81 F150. Haynes book says it was used on T18/19 and NP trans from 80-83. They don't always know what they're talking about but since we have a reliable source that had one, I'd say they're probably on the money with this one,
JD

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how long it is from the rear side of the trans adapter spacer to the center line of the front driveshaft yoke on the transfer case with a E4OD/BW1356 combo? Just trying to get an idea where my divorced t-case would need to be to use the stock F350 front driveshaft...I started measuring/eye-balling it today. The ZF is a fair bit shorter than the E4OD so that helps with my driveshafts. I didn't want my front shaft to be too long and having the ZF be much shorter pretty much cures that issue. I think I can mount my divorced t-case so I can re-use the stock front shaft.;Sweet

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80-83, everything but the 460/diesel was linkage. 84 the 351W got hydro also, and by 85 the whole lineup had hydro.
I've owned/own an 80, 81 and 82 with linkage, and a friend of mine's old 84 started life with linkage and a 300 I-6, but we converted it to hydro during the first of it's many powertrain replacements....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing my freebie Rough Country steering stabilizer kit today....With a little minor alternation to the draglink bracket it fit well. I picked up 10' of 1/4" wall 2"x2" square tubing today to fab up my NP205 crossmember and some 1/2" round stock to make a shifter linkage....The time has come to get this friggin 4wd/5pd swap done, looks like the week of xmas will be the time as I'm on vacation all week.;Sweet ...Good time to lay the truck up and get the shaft work done while I don't need it to drive to work;Sweet .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online