E4OD to ZF-5 swap update.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ok, a little update on tonights progress....The master cylinder is toast so I have to buy a new one tomorrow.:rolleyes: ....The E4OD is ready to come out tommorow night....6 BH bolts and the cooler lines is all that's left. Had some trouble with one TC nut and now to sell the TC I'll have to get a new stud welded on it.:dunno -cuss....With any luck I should have it out tommorrow and have everything prepped for a Saturday ZF installation. The before shot.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuart, I priced a MC here a while ago, found one for a whopping $135 got that down to same price you have of $85 so that was not bad. I pulled one at a wrecker NOT WHERE I WORK and BEFORE I WORKED AT WRECKER and paid like 20 bones, then I pulled one at work and got it in a deal with a bunch of other things too...

I am waiting to change my MC till I put my Tilt column in along with conversion to Hydro assist, doing 3 things at once saves work!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My truck has an auto tilt column with cruise now and the bare bones column I have to replace has tilt/cruise as well. I wonder if there are any wiring differences in the columns? Both are 91 columns. I was just going to swap the switch from the old column to the new one. The local CarQuest has the M/C in stock, I also have to get 3 u-joint strap kits for the 205. I got an old used ZF input shaft today from my buddy with the tranny shop to install the clutch on the SM flywheel....I want to get the trans out tommorow incase I need to get a rear main seal kit....I need to be able to rock and roll this weekend. I'd like to have the ZF install done so I can start the 205 install the first of next week.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being they're the same year, the columns should plug and play, just swap your lock cylinder over and go, there was a change in the harness wiring around 89 or so, but, that's a non issue for you.
Having an input shaft for an alignment tool is nice, but, 99% of the time, I use my trusty old 6" ½" extension and roll of electrical tape... LOL

I'm really surprised how solid that truck looks underneath, I'm used to things back home being orange and crusty underneath... LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It was sold new in Montreal and used for hauling a 5th wheel travel trailer. It's been undercoated a few times. It's far from mint but it's very solid for a 91 from the rust belt....I have a new undercoating gun and 5 gallons of CarQuest dripless oil to go on it next week.:eek:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, a little update on tonights progress....The master cylinder is toast so I have to buy a new one tomorrow.:rolleyes:

i just so happen to have the MC,line and SC from an 88 that i got all my ZF swap parts from but the MC wont work with the 92 up pedal assembly.im gonna go to the junk yard i got my pedals from and get the whole MC/SC setup from the same truck.so i dont need the 88 setup.let me know if you could use it

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I would be interested in a trade, I was just given a newer style M/C and slave cylinder for the 92-96 today and it wouldn't fit mine. I will take some pics and shoot you a PM. I bought a new M/C today. $97 with taxes.

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have the E4OD out of the F250, I bolted in the flywheel and LUK clutch tonight...Should have the 5spd swap all done buy the end of the weekend with any luck. I have my 4x4 racing buddy coming out early next week to help me design a sling for the 205.;Sweet The E4OD was tagged as being rebuilt in 2000, found paint pen in the BH.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i went and got the ones i needed today.shot an offer and its yours.

mine is almost done.i just need a driveshaft that i thought i had but cant find.but the junkyard i got everything else from has one.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The M/C I was given has a remote reservoir, something tells me it's for a 6spd ZF. I'll post a pic tonight. As soon as I get done with this swap I'll PM you to strike a deal.;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I put the 5spd in today, installed the clutch master cylinder and slave piston. I changed out the steering column and installed the clutch pedal assembly. All that's left is to bleed the clutch, secure the clutch hose, finish putting the dash back together and I have to wire up the reverse light switch....Went in pretty easy...Only ran into one problem....I got the crossmember with the 5spd but I didn't get the side gussets and one of the orginal gussets doesn't appear to fit....Minor detail in a big ship.....I still have to remove the E4OD trans ECM, and cooler and plug the cooler ports in the radiator.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice!been cruisin around in mine all day and did 2 tows with it today.im glad i did it!!!has more get up and go power,the auto was sluggish trying to pickup speed.fixed the vibration ive been chaseing for 7 years.mustve been a bad flywheel.fuel mileage still sux but i also have a couple return lines leaking.feels so weird driving it though.feels like its not my truck

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I finish up the ZF swap tommorow....I'll start fabbing the 205 crossmember on Monday....Might have it rolling again late next week with any luck, assuming I have the money for the custom driveshaft work I'll need done. I want to undercoat it and install my new triple gauge pod and autometer gauges before I put it back into daily driver mode....Should there be an issue with this ZF or the 205 t-case I still have the Dakota to drive so I'm not up **** creek...LOL...I have a 2nd ZF here as well, I was told that both were good runners....We'll see I guess...LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice!been cruisin around in mine all day and did 2 tows with it today.im glad i did it!!!has more get up and go power,the auto was sluggish trying to pickup speed.fixed the vibration ive been chaseing for 7 years.mustve been a bad flywheel.fuel mileage still sux but i also have a couple return lines leaking.feels so weird driving it though.feels like its not my truck
rich-
what are you seeing for mileage?
one of my customers just bought a slushbox f450 carrier. he just got his left hip replaced and didn't like the idea of shifting anymore. It would be nice to give him a heads up of what to expect as far as mileage is concernedcookoo:dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
what are you seeing for mileage?
one of my customers just bought a slushbox f450 carrier. he just got his left hip replaced and didn't like the idea of shifting anymore. It would be nice to give him a heads up of what to expect as far as mileage is concernedcookoo:dunno

ok well heres the deal with my fuel mileage issues.

when i first got the truck i ran around about a month before getting my inspection sticker(needed a little work first).it had great fuel mileage.i would use less than an 1/8 of a tank to go 40 miles.i was more than satisfied with the fuel mileage.after i got my sticker and had the emissions test my mileage was cut in half.i would use 1/4 of a tank to drive the same 40 mile route.i dont know what the hell happened.after the emissions test it started blowing black smoke like crazy.i replaced the IP 4 times,2 sets of injectors and mileage still sucked.i also developed a miss in the motor after the test.

if his is running right and well taken care of he should get pretty decent fuel mileage out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online