E4OD T/C Staying locked up after warm up

chadh

Reaction score
Hello All

I have a 1992 f350 that I bought with a bad trans. I got it rebuilt and at that time replaced the FIPL, MLPS, and VSS. The tach is smooth so I didnt replace the tach sensor. It worked fine after the rebuild but after around 500 or 1000 miles the t/c started staying locked up after it warms up. When I push on the brake it doesnt unlock, but when I turn the key off and start it, the trans works fine again untill I stop again. Sometimes it works fine, other times not. When it acts up the coast clutch doesnt work also.
I have cleaned the connections several times. Any one have any ideas?
Thaks in advance

Chad

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of warranty did you get on the rebuild?. I'd be taking the truck back to the person that rebuilt it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
It could be a broen wire somewheres in the harness too. No amount of cleaning will fix that.

Do hat I did and throw in a ZF....no more shifting problems....unless you can't a stick! lol.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CONVERTER CLUTCH DOES NOT RELEASE

1. Check fluid level.
2. Electrical system or electronic engine control.
A.No unlock signal.
B.S3 solenoid malfunction
C.Bulkhead connector damaged.
D.Pinched wires.
3. Converter clutch control valve stuck or dirty.

Will it shift down when OD is cancelled ?
Will it shift down when throttle pedal to WOT ?
Does it down shift hard ?

I think you will find #2 A, no unlock signal, being when brake is applied trans. is not getting a signal. Cancell the OD before driving, should stay in 3rd gear, then turn OD on while driving over 40 MPH, should upshift into OD, then try and cancell OD again, should downshift, if not #2 A probably.

Last edited:

chadh

Reaction score
Thanks for your relies, It is going back to the builder tomorrow. I will post when it is fixed.

Chad

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking sticking valve somewhere in the front pump housing. Often a scratched or nicked valve will function ok when the transmission is cold but will snag when it warms up and fluid viscosity drops.

Don't think its electrical either which means its completely up to the shop to figure it out.