E4od swap in a 6.9

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talking to a person on CL with one for sale and im wondering if this is possible? I have a c6 and am trying to get better highway gears. I will be pulling the motor for headstuds so this will be a good time!

any help is appreciated

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugghhhh part of me just wants too sell it and start over... so many $$. I guess its better than a truck payment...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Do the 5 speed. It will feel like you got a power upgrade too.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this swap 13 years ago with my truck and am now rebuilding the transmission again.

I'm one of the biggest E4OD proponents out there but even I recommend the 5 speed swap over the E4OD swap.

The E4OD is a good transmission that can last a very long time when put together right. But it's never going to be a cheap and easy swap like a 5-speed. To do this right, internal upgrades are required - especially if you ever want to turbocharge. I would not trust one with an unknown history either.

The E4OD is also significantly longer than the C6 or ZF5, so your cross member will need to move. Rear drive shaft becomes shorter while the front will be longer.

If the cost of an aftermarket controller scares you, I'd advise not attempting the E4OD swap.

Would I do it all over again? ABSOLUTELY!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermediate clutch piston seal was installed backwards. This is a lip seal, so it was probably leaking hydraulic pressure from day one (F5 pump may have helped mask the problem). 1-2 shift always did seem a touch weak but it never slipped so I didn't think much of it. I can't remember if I put the seal in, or if I simply failed to replace it when I first rebuilt the transmission. Either way, I should have caught it. Not the E4OD's fault.

Internal leakage at that piston is probably what took out the center support bearing nearby. Then that caused loss of pressure on most of the clutches due to the drum hub going out of alignment on the sealing rings and...that was about all it took. About an hour after I noticed it pulled weak from a stoplight, the transmission was barely able to limp home due to severe slipping. It would still move around the yard as long as it was cold. As it warmed up, it would start slipping again so I knew it was done.

I also found the overdrive return snap ring had popped out, but apparently it doesn't matter much unless you are using the later bonded piston style setup. I should have replaced it with a spiral spring 13 years ago.

All in all, I think it did well considering the assembly error. I sent the billet converter to get rebuilt just in case shrapnel was in it, but apparently it looked like new inside. I'll be replacing the cooler and then adding a magnetic filter on the return side just to be safe.

If it wasn't for my goofs, I have no doubt it would have kept going for many more years.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out Precision Transmission on YouTube... He does some good teardown and explanation videos.... he has a few E4OD and 4r100 videos..... seems like most that he works on is GM and Dodges........

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Precision Transmission on YouTube... He does some good teardown and explanation videos.... he has a few E4OD and 4r100 videos..... seems like most that he works on is GM and Dodges........

I've been binge watching that father-son duo for a while now. That's what made me decide to modify a couple of the backing plates so I could add more frictions.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
They do a really good job..... and it’s sad to see what some shops charge people for... I’ve also learned that transmissions don’t like water..... or no fluid...... or “well it still moves”.....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they mentioned in one of their more recent videos that people are starting to light up their phone lines asking for advice from all over the country. Victims of their own success.