e4od shifting issues after truck rebuild

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
The truck is a 1993/94 ford f-250 7.3 IDI turbo diesel. Gears are 4:10s and I went up to 315/75 tires (35s). The tranny was rebuilt and has around 5000k on it. I used a wiring harness from a 94' 2wd factory turbo that also had an e4od. Also the truck has a moose pump on it. So after finishing the rebuild/restoration on the truck the transmission shifting is way out. It shifts from 1 to 2 very late @3000RPM then there is a quick shift to 3rd and then it shifts straight into OD (so lugs right down). So I've read that there is adjustment on the sensor on the side of pump (FIPL?) . I have it set in same spot as the turbo pump off the 2wd. Is there also some kind of adjustment on the module on side of transmission? I also read somewhere that there are codes that will come up on the computer but how do you check them with there being no OBII port? I'm just kinda wondering what all of these adjustments affect and what you guys think I might need to adjust according to my situation. Thanks

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIPL has 3 wires going into it.

The Voltage adjustments on mine are as follows:

Top wire in, this voltage range is what controls the shifts- 1.05V-1.1V
Middle wire- ground 0V
Bottom wire is voltage in- 5V

Loosen the star bolts just enough to make an adjustment without it moving if you take your hand off of it while adjusting.

Most VOM probes are long enough to probe the wires inside the plug, where the metal contact points are. Be sure not to touch two at a time or it can short.

You are adjusting to the top wire voltages 1.05-1.1.

It's a very small adjustment, it only takes .01V to make some difference, mine was at 1.5V initially and had similar issues to yours(except OD too soon). Once voltage came into range, I did one upper range setting- test drove, readjusted to lower range- test drove and estimated final adjustment from there- test drove, and it was all good to go.

By going to both extremes instead of in the middle, it gave me a better feel of where I wanted my shift to start. It doesn't take much to make it do something different in the shift, besides, it let me know if I adjusted up or down whether or not it delayed or advanced the shift.

I've replaced 2 FIPL's. The first one was the original, didn't adjust at all. First replacement worked for only a few weeks, replaced it again, working fine now. Don't ask me what brands either of them were, I don't remember....sorry. I may have been too aggressive with my meter probing on the first one and caused premature failure, so don't know if it was defective part or defective installer.

You may have to test your plug to see which wire does what, other instructions on here are not what my plug readings were/are supposed to be location wise. Voltage wise, all good.

Hope this helps.

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
Thanks CaptTom, i had tested the FIPL before and my volts were way out, so i did replace it with one from another pump I had. When I'm making adjustments am I just moving the side with the longer slot or on the other side?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
When I'm making adjustments am I just moving the side with the longer slot or on the other side?

It doesn't matter I think as long as it doesn't feel like it's offset from center or binding. I had to loosen up both on mine.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i loosened both, i think you have to, it pivots on the tank on the throttle shaft tang. mine also has a guide stud so it can only ride through the arc of the fipl slot.

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
I adjusted the existing FIPL numerous times and picked up a new one, put it on, and adjusted it atleast a dozen times within 1.05-1.1 V at idle and beween 3.8 - 4.3V at WOT. I have good shifts between one and 2 and it shifts at the right time between 2 and 3, but instead of going into 3rd it is still going straight into OD. Button on shifter to shut off OD doesn't seem to do anything either? Any more suggestions?

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To test the shift points do this. With a warm engine. With transmission Shifted into Drive or OD.
Slowly accellerate up to 45 MPH. You should feel the shift points as follows.

0 to 12-14 MPH ---- Shifts from 1st to 2nd.

12-14 to 25-27 MPH ---- Shifts from 2nd to 3rd, also TC lock up.

27 to 36-38 MPH ----Shifts into OD

The voltage setting on the TPS/FIPL will give you harsh or smooth shifts.

.96 to 1.01 ---- Smooth------------1.01 to 1.03 ----- Harsh or quicker.

With engine OFF and key ON -- Rotate the TPS by hand, voltage should NOT exceed 4.5 at WOT. There should be NO dead spots while rotating.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OD button on the shift lever when pressed should turn the lite on or off, when lite, OD is OFF. If it's not operating that way, then remove the cover on the steering wheel and check the very small three wires for pinched, cut or disconnected. A new shift arm is about $57 USA., easy to change, only one bolt. If it's not operating, ON/OFF then as you indicated the CPM is stuck in OD.

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
I have replaced the steering column, along with the shift lever as the Knob was broke off and OD was not working in the parts truck. But it should still shift into 3rd instead of skipping it, even with the button on.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The S1 solenoid could be bad. This prevent third gear shift. Other area to check 2-3 shift valve in the accumulator body. It could be hung up.

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
I drained the fluid, replaced the filter, and put in another clutch pack from a transmission I had around (which shifted for sure), and still have the same problem. Still first 2 shifts are good and the rpms drop right down almost like its skipping a shift, Running out of ideas... Possibly a break somewhere in the harness? Anything else I could check?

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there another sensor/sender on the drivers side externally? I forgot what it's called and does. Sorry for such a useless comment, but thought it might spark an idea.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I drained the fluid, replaced the filter, and put in another clutch pack from a transmission I had around (which shifted for sure), and still have the same problem. Still first 2 shifts are good and the rpms drop right down almost like its skipping a shift, Running out of ideas... Possibly a break somewhere in the harness? Anything else I could check?

Wich clutch pack did you change.

What did the clutch pack look like. Slightly toasted, toasted, or good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online