e4od shifting issues after truck rebuild

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
I guess its more of a "solenoid pack", the one on the passenger side of the transmission, with the 9 pin connector.

But might have an idea... the wiring harness on the truck is from a 94' f-250 2 wheel drive factory turbo that had an e4od also (used the body and turbo from this truck), while the transmission harness is from a 93' f-250 4x4. I don't know if theres any difference in the transmission other than the output, but the wiring connectors between the tranmmission harness and the main harness don't match up. There is the larger connector which fits, but on the 94' harness there is a 4 pin connector, and on the 93' harness there is a 6 pin connector. I was going to just use the other harness but connector to the shift position sensor on drivers side of transmission is different. I just cut the trans connector and spliced on the 4 pin, and there was a Purple/Orange and Blue/Yellow wire left out... I had initially just thought that those wires were something for the transfer case, but maybe, maybe? From the diagrams I've seen the wire to "shift solenoid #2" on the 9 pin connector is a Purple/Orange wire, anybody know if thats the case? and if so, WHERE does that purple/orange wire go to on the 2wd main harness then if not to that connector?

You must be registered for see images attach

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
I just tore the trans wiring harness apart, and CONFIRMED that indeed the purple wire is for shift solenoid #2 and the blue wire is "transmission range sensor" that goes to 8 pin connector on driver side module.

NOW, I can either try to to find those 2 wires somewhere in the vehicle harness and splice the 6 pin connector on, OR use the other trans harness and splice on the different connector to the shift position sensor on drIvers side of trans. Or can I just switch that module all together? On the 2wd harness that purple wire just goes into the square connector.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess its more of a "solenoid pack", the one on the passenger side of the transmission, with the 9 pin connector.

But might have an idea... the wiring harness on the truck is from a 94' f-250 2 wheel drive factory turbo that had an e4od also (used the body and turbo from this truck), while the transmission harness is from a 93' f-250 4x4. I don't know if theres any difference in the transmission other than the output, but the wiring connectors between the tranmmission harness and the main harness don't match up. There is the larger connector which fits, but on the 94' harness there is a 4 pin connector, and on the 93' harness there is a 6 pin connector. I was going to just use the other harness but connector to the shift position sensor on drivers side of transmission is different. I just cut the trans connector and spliced on the 4 pin, and there was a Purple/Orange and Blue/Yellow wire left out... I had initially just thought that those wires were something for the transfer case, but maybe, maybe? From the diagrams I've seen the wire to "shift solenoid #2" on the 9 pin connector is a Purple/Orange wire, anybody know if thats the case? and if so, WHERE does that purple/orange wire go to on the 2wd main harness then if not to that connector?

You must be registered for see images attach

you could have saved yourself and others trying to help you,a lot of time and effort by posting that info first.;)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help or not, but it's all I can find. The wire colors from 93 to 94 may be different. The 87-89 E4OD wiring may be the same colors as the 93. Your 94 harness is the late one 94.5 when they came out with the turbo.

Attachments

• 94-96_F-series_VinM_Turbo.gif
    94-96_F-series_VinM_Turbo.gif
    159.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 94_F_series.gif
    94_F_series.gif
    93.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 87-89_F_series_VinM.gif
    87-89_F_series_VinM.gif
    122.9 KB · Views: 7

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
No kidding, not like I tried every other possible thing before I realized what the problem was.. Its a learning experience that's for sure, an expensive one! What's the difference between the connector for drivers side module from my 93 trans harness to the other one, my best bet might be just to splice that connector on because judging by the digram all the wires are the same for the most part. Or is the module interchangeable? Also can someone tell me about this Coast Clutch Controller box that's on the 94' harness?

Attachments

• B3D1A18.gif
    B3D1A18.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 4
  • mlpsconnector.png
    mlpsconnector.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 4

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
No kidding, not like I tried every other possible thing before I realized what the problem was.. Its a learning experience that's for sure, an expensive one! What's the difference between the connector for drivers side module from my 93 trans harness to the other one, my best bet might be just to splice that connector on because judging by the digram all the wires are the same for the most part. Or is the module interchangeable? Also can someone tell me about this Coast Clutch Controller box that's on the 94' harness?

Instead of splicing the Transmission range senor harness, just replace the plug. Remove the pins and reinstal into the correct plug. If you don't know the age of the sensor, get a new one. The new sensor comes with the updated plug and a map to reinstal.

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
Posted the wrong picture on left. Is the one with larger oval shaped plug in (very bottom on digram) an updated module? And does it interchange and work the same. Because then I would just change the module and everything would work no cutting and splicing involved.

Attachments

• Trans_harness.png
    Trans_harness.png
    13 KB · Views: 33

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I would also recalibrate the speedometer for the larger tires (very easy to do on the 92-97 rucks). Might take care of the shift issue. I know it did on my F150 when i put 35s on.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your giving me a headache trying to figure out what your saying and what you have. :confused: :D

There is no Coast Clutch controller box, news to me if there is one. The Coast Clutch is within the transmission, the PCM was changed so the Coast Clutch would give engine braking on the 94 model. IIRC

Posted the wrong picture on left
Does that mean the AODE/4R70W? Those are automobile transmissions.

Manual Lever Position Sensors. Just switch them for the harness you have. Pretty sure it will work.

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
I changed the whole manual level position sensor, and used the 94' harness complete. Now have 3rd gear! Sorry OLDBULL, was trying to explain on my blackberry while i was at work. There is a aprox. 1" x 2"x 4" box that says "Coast Clutch Controller", it hooks up to the solenoid pack plug in.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed the whole manual level position sensor, and used the 94' harness complete. Now have 3rd gear! Sorry OLDBULL, was trying to explain on my blackberry while i was at work. There is a aprox. 1" x 2"x 4" box that says "Coast Clutch Controller", it hooks up to the solenoid pack plug in.

That sure is an add on module of some sort. Any brand name on it? Glad you you got 3rd gear now. I'll get a refund on the asprine.

kaiylepyne

Reaction score
A good quality rebuild is well over $1200+. Plan on twice that if you want a transmission that will outlast the truck, IMHO. Your symptoms lead me to believe you have something external causing the shifting issue. More than once someone on these forums has gone for a rebuild to find out the symptoms persist. Is there a thread with the details of everything that has been done up to this point? :dunno