E4OD. Recommendations while trans is out of truck?

SLittle

Reaction score
1991 2wd E4OD. NA 7.3. Truck is used to tow my 5th wheel camper and boat.

Had to pull the transmission to replace the flex plate. Transmission was rebuilt according to previous owner an all signs indicate this is correct. I do not know if anything was upgraded to newer E4OD specs.

On to my question... I ordered a tugger kit and metal drain back valve kit. Is there anything else I should look at doing while the transmission is out?

Definitely going to add a drain plug.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get a pan with drain plug already in it think its a later style pan, I did this also

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change torque converter pump seal to newer year that uses mercon v I used a 1997 If pulling the deep pan from a 4x4 adds over a quart of additional fluid and has the drain plug. I also converted to mercon v on my 1990 f250 and my 1992 e350.

SLittle

Reaction score
you can get a pan with drain plug already in it think its a later style pan, I did this also

I'll have to look at my pile o **** and see if there's an e4od with a later style pan.

Change torque converter pump seal to newer year that uses mercon v I used a 1997 If pulling the deep pan from a 4x4 adds over a quart of additional fluid and has the drain plug. I also converted to mercon v on my 1990 f250 and my 1992 e350.

I'm seeing napa part number ATP 16455. Sound correct?

gandalf

Reaction score
Use the trans pan from a 4R100, I think it is, whish is an exact fit and has the drain plug.

Pulling a trailer and/or boat I'd have the largest trans cooler I could find. That would be one of the Long TruCool models or one from a Ford 6.0 liter engine. You want to keep that transmission as cool as possible. Heat is your enemy.

SLittle

Reaction score
Use the trans pan from a 4R100, I think it is, whish is an exact fit and has the drain plug.

Pulling a trailer and/or boat I'd have the largest trans cooler I could find. That would be one of the Long TruCool models or one from a Ford 6.0 liter engine. You want to keep that transmission as cool as possible. Heat is your enemy.

Ah.. I don't have a 4R100 in the junk pile.

Good point on the cooler. Already has a good sized aftermarket cooler. I don't like that the PO installed it and bypassed the factory cooler in the rad. IMO I would want to go through the factory cooler and then through the aftermarket air-air cooler. But I'm sure THAT comment will cause a huge debate.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ah.. I don't have a 4R100 in the junk pile.

Good point on the cooler. Already has a good sized aftermarket cooler. I don't like that the PO installed it and bypassed the factory cooler in the rad. IMO I would want to go through the factory cooler and then through the aftermarket air-air cooler. But I'm sure THAT comment will cause a huge debate.

No debate. This is the correct way to hook up the coolers. Always connect to the radiator first. This is the primary cooler.

1992 idi 73

Reaction score
Heat will kill the E4OD. Make sure to run the main radiator cooler first as this will cool the fluid the best. Then you can run it through any aftermarket cooler. I have a smaller air to air "booster" cooler and I helps keep the temp down while towing.

SLittle

Reaction score
As mentioned, PO said the transmission had been rebuilt at some point. Found this on the transmission and another identical on the torque converter. So, although it appears it IS a replaced / rebuilt transmission, it isn't something that appears to be recent:

https://i.imgur.com/QwP6e11.jpg

SLittle

Reaction score
Well, I'm halfway through the tugger kit installation. Will finish it up tomorrow and put the transmission back in.

Although I have no way to know what was done during the "Quality Ford Renewal" I do know that it has an F5 pump in a F0 case. So I'm hoping I'll find that Ford's authorized rebuilder put in the all later upgraded parts.