E4OD Problems Continue, what now?

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
So after 6 months sitting in my barn waiting for it's tranny to come back from IL, friday night my IDI finally came back to life, but alas more tranny problems.

So I got tired of waiting for my tranny to come back from the trucks previous owner, so I went out and bought a lower miles E40d on ebay that was out of a 1993 F-350 4x4, suppossedly it has just been serviced and the pump had all new seals put into it.

Friday I finished putting the truck back together including a brand new torque convertor. I filled it up with 17 qts of Tranny Fluid per the book quidelines. I let it set for a while, then I fired it up. The truck fired right up as expected. I let it idle awhile and shifted throught the gears, but the truck didn't move and inch. So i checked the fluid level and it was still overfull. So I pull the codes, and there was nothing special just a vehicle speed sensor and a tranny oil temp code.

I checked the pump output by disconnecting the tranny lines and with the truck idling, it was barely trickling out of the tranny. So I let it set till sunday, then i started it up and now the fluid was shooting out like it should. So i buttoned it up and topped of the fluid. Now the truck would go forward but not in reverse.

So i pushed it out of the barn and took it around the block. From as stop it wants to start in 2nd gear, but once it's going it seems to shift fine, even into overdrive. But still no reverse. I checked all the wiring harness, and the connections, even switched the shift position sensor. Still nothing, I cleared the codes several times, no change at all.

Using a snap on scanner here are the current codes:
Key on Engine off:
23 Fuel Injector Pump Lever out of range
67 Manual lever position out of range - A/C on
Engine Running Codes:
11-No Codes present
Continous codes:
29-open vehicle speed sensor circuit
62-Convertor clutch error

No change in symptoms, still no reverse and it starts in second gear.

Any ideas?

Please help

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reverse is not electrically controlled. You can unhook EVERY wire and you will still have 2nd and reverse gears.

You say the trans was "just serviced". I bet the tranny went out on them, and they had it "resealed" and just assumed it would work again.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Reverse is not electrically controlled. You can unhook EVERY wire and you will still have 2nd and reverse gears.

Well, then are the back-up lights "magical"? Or are they "wireless"? Why don't they come on "Park" or "Neutral"? The proceedure I posted was just to line up the MLPS correctly. And they call ME cookoo . cookoo Okiegringo

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, but the problem is not a lack of reverse LIGHTS, but a lack of reverse GEAR.

This is borrowed from the Bauman site: "My 1990 F250 automatic w/overdrive has suddenly decided not to start in park or move in reverse after a 160 mile trip. After driving 80 miles non-stop, I pulled up to a light and stopped. It didn't want to take off, but finally caught hold and did. I could no longer start with the key, so bypassed with a starter button. We returned the 80 miles fine, or so we thought. We had not tried to back up and discovered that it won't move in reverse. Any suggestions or thoughts on the problem? I did try loosening the linkage and move it by hand, but still could not find reverse.

There is nothing electrical about reverse so you are going to need a rebuild. It seems like you also have trouble with your range sensor, which could have contributed to the failure. After the rebuild be sure to have all of the sensors and wiring checked"

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
If the new/used trans was truely just rebuilt, it seems that the problem should be alignment of the MLPS and not in need of rebuilding.cookoo Okiegringo

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okie, it doesn't say it was rebuilt. It says it was "serviced" which to me says that they went in because of a leak or other problem.

The E4OD has 5 solenoids, these are the extent of the electronic components inside the transmission. Shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2, lockup solenoid, coast clutch solenoid, and EPC (line pressure) solenoid.

As far as I can determine reverse is completely mechanical / hydraulic.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Okie, it doesn't say it was rebuilt. It says it was "serviced" which to me says that they went in because of a leak or other problem.

The E4OD has 5 solenoids, these are the extent of the electronic components inside the transmission. Shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2, lockup solenoid, coast clutch solenoid, and EPC (line pressure) solenoid.

As far as I can determine reverse is completely mechanical / hydraulic.

Roboto, Ok, then where do the back-up lights get their juice from? I'd like to know cuz I need to hook up mine. Original trans was a T-19. Firemedic, PM me with your address and I'll let you borrow my MLPS alignment tool. Better to try it than having to rebuild trans. for want of the dang misalignment of a sensor. OkieGringo

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the reverse LIGHTS go through the MLPS. But I keep trying to say, the MLPS is in no way related to the trans actually engaging reverse gear. Neutral, forward and reverse are controlled mechanically. Changing between different "forward" gears is controlled electronically.

Your backup wire from the MLPS is Blk/Pink. The power IN for the backup lights is Purple/Orange or White/Lt Blue. Diagram here http://www.baumannengineering.com/tcswrg.htm

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to throw another wrench into this. A '90 gasser with an E4OD is sitting because it will jump from forward to reverse. As you can guess this is a bit of a problem, I was thinking the MLPS but I also know that reverse is mechanically engaged so what gives?:confused:

Just started using Mozilla Firefox for a browser and discovered it has a spell check in these forums.

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to throw another wrench into this. A '90 gasser with an E4OD is sitting because it will jump from forward to reverse. As you can guess this is a bit of a problem, I was thinking the MLPS but I also know that reverse is mechanically engaged so what gives?:confused:

Just started using Mozilla Firefox for a browser and discovered it has a spell check in these forums.

Now that's wierd. Broken linkage in the trans? Internal hydraulic leak inside the trans?

Does it do this in all gear positions? Just in reverse? Just in drive?

I "think" the MLPS might be capable of engaging a forward clutch at the same time as a reverse one. And one would overpower the other...... I had a trans fail like that once, at idle it would be in reverse, but if you revved it up it would start pulling forward. I never figured out what the problem was, it didn't take long for the trans to quit going in either direction.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firemedic.....

I'd suggest calling the guy you bought the trans from and asking what it was "serviced" for. There's nothing stopping him from lying but maybe he'll tell you "no reverse" and you'll know it was pre existing.

Maybe they took it apart and put it back together wrong. It only takes one cut seal or gasket to kill a gear. The old C4's were good for losing reverse due to a bad gasket.

BTW, I have a repair manual for the E4OD I got off of eBay when my first one went bad. I think I paid about $35 for it. I don't have any automatics anymore, so if you want the manual it's yours for $20.

I looked up "no reverse" in the book, the ones that seem specific to reverse gear are a missing checkball, sticking valves, and burned clutches. Since you are also missing 1st gear, I suspect something is wrong with the low gear clutch.

One thing I noticed, under both no reverse and no first (starts in high gear), low line pressure is listed as a possible cause of both.

Last edited:

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
From what the previous owner told me when I got the tranny. He had it in a 93 F-350 4x4 it worked great he drove the truck it came from. He said he took it to a local (to him) tranny shop to have it re-sealed, especially, the pump, b/c he said the e40d's have a tendancy to have leaky pumps. They did the work and then the tranny sat for about a year.

when i first put the tranny in, i had no pump output, so the info reguarding, the low line pressure seams to be a place to look.

regardless i could not wait any longer so i stole one from a friend that had an almost brand new one lying around. and now I am back on the road till I get my original tranny back, or get this one fixed, or get another one.

roboto, does that manual show how to rebuild these darn things, cause that would be worth every penny. Well i prolly get it regardless. I have been meaning to get with you. Being we live so close together, and all. Plus I was stuck on the side of the road a while back, and 411 could not find your number, so I had to get towed from midway mall to grafton, by vaughns and it cost me like $150. anyways pm me with your digits,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726