E4od, not shifting out of first.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Interesting E4OD issue.

No codes, FIPL set to 1.25ish Volts, Recent MLPS (aligned via the mark), VSS/speedo working flawlessly, tach working good. Plug is clean and no corroded wires, same with the MLPS plug. After the trans is in park and you shift to drive, the trans will not shift out of 1st on its own. You have to shift into 2nd manually for it to upshift; and then you can select drive again and it shifts as it should through all the gears including TC lockup, all day long....UNTIL its put back in park or reverse, then when its put back into drive, it wont shift out of 1st again unless you do it manually. Once you do it manually, it will shift fine again...until put back into park or reverse.

Any thoughts?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My first thought is the MPLS....... Maybe is has come loose, or is just enough out of alignment that pulling in "down" from park or reverse it is just barely out of adjustment. But when you push it "up" from Manual 1 or 2, it hits the right spot. Maybe a linkage or "bushing" in the linkages is starting to wear and give a bit of slop in the system (like we have seen posted on a manual that it have to "push the clutch through the floor" for the starter to engage", because of worn bushings)..... Could be a bad MPLS out of the box..... or, isn't there an "old" and a "new" plug pinout for the MPLS? Maybe it a wiring issue.......

Could it be an adjustment of the linkage that goes inside the transmission?

@trackspeeder, any ideas?

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try adjusting the clocking of the MLPS , sounds like yours is slightly off or may just have too much slop

1. check the mounting bolts for looseness

2. hows the linkage look between the MLPS and the arm , does that have any play/slop?

3. just out of curiosity does the gear selector on the column Point to the correct gear or is it off as well? what year is your truck? Or the MLPS went bad but that would be strange

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This truck is a 92. The linkage seems pretty good. Not like new, but also not sloppy.
So I tried adjusting the MLPS a bit either way, to no avail.

So I then removed it and replaced it with a known good OEM one (30 years old) and it's all back to normal. Shifting just as it should. So here is yet ANOTHER example of junk aftermarket made in China crap. I think I may leave this old one on it, rather then ordering a new one and having it last less then a year like the last one did.

Thanks again. I have become pretty good with E4OD troubles but this was a new one for me.

cbmech

Reaction score
The solenoid pack inside the pan. I had the same problem on my 97 e4od. It comes as a solenoid pack so you are replacing them all

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Good tip. Yea the only time I had to replace a solenoid pack before was when the TOT sensor went bad and it would shift directly from second into overdrive t/c lock, until the tranny warmed up and then it would shift normal.
The MLPS fixed this particular issue