E4od mystery

SwampRat

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here to the site and need some advice. I traded my boat a couple of years ago to a friend of mine for a 94 F250 7.3 IDI. It was an old boat I wasn't using and this was an old truck that my buddy wasn't using. The truck only has 200,000 miles on it with a newly rebuilt transmission. Problem seems to be that when he had the tranny rebuilt, it was a bench job. He put it back in and it refuses to shift into overdrive. The shop that rebuilt the transmission checked it out and assured him it was something electrical. I can see where they buggered up the TPS / fipl trying to adjust it .I also noticed that the MLPs was changed, but not the plug. I changed the plugs on the TPS and the MLPS. Adjusted the TPS and got it into range, but still no overdrive. I decided to pull off the MLPs to see if it was installed correctly and of course it wasn't ,so I reinstalled it. The truck is Shifting smoother first second and third but still no overdrive. If I fiddle with the MLPs and move it around a little bit it changes the way the truck shifts. I'm wondering if I need to bring it to the shop to have it adjusted. The overdrive light on the shifter works and is not blinking. Therefore, I don't think any codes are there. I have an OBD1 scanner I'm going to hook up but I don't think it is going to tell me anything in this case. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, coast clutch working fine as well.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
There could be an internal issue not allowing the tranny to shift to forth gear.

The problem could be in the OD clutch, 3-4 shift valve, or accumulator valve.

Most likely the solenoid is working. If not, the OD OFF light would be flashing.

SwampRat

Reaction score
Thanks TrackSpeeder! Yes, I was thinking that it might be internal. I want to try everything before I bring it to the shop. Will the transmission throw a code if this is the case? I have an OBD1 scanner and get code 11 in KOEO and KOER test mode. The gut that did the original rebuild swears that it's an electrical issue. He said he installed new valve body, torque converter, solenoid pack etc. I'm not a transmission guru but I have to wonder if he made a simple mistake like over tightening the bolts in the valve body at the od valve, restricting movement. I dont want to sink 1800 bucks for a new rebuild if I dont have to. It feels like it wants to go into od but cant quite make it. 3rd is weird. It has a firm shift then smoothes out and rpms drop for a few seconds then back up to 2k rpms at 50 mph.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it trys to get into od but never locks into gear? or does it just stay in third and act like it never tries to shift? An internal issue wont trigger a code no.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thanks TrackSpeeder! Yes, I was thinking that it might be internal. I want to try everything before I bring it to the shop. Will the transmission throw a code if this is the case? I have an OBD1 scanner and get code 11 in KOEO and KOER test mode. The gut that did the original rebuild swears that it's an electrical issue. He said he installed new valve body, torque converter, solenoid pack etc. I'm not a transmission guru but I have to wonder if he made a simple mistake like over tightening the bolts in the valve body at the od valve, restricting movement. I dont want to sink 1800 bucks for a new rebuild if I dont have to. It feels like it wants to go into od but cant quite make it. 3rd is weird. It has a firm shift then smoothes out and rpms drop for a few seconds then back up to 2k rpms at 50 mph.

Code 11 is test complete. In this case nothing found.

Yes check the accumulator body for a stuck valve. Sometimes over tightening will cause issues like stuck valves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online