E4OD... here we go again

ndnjames13

Reaction score
I have a 97 7.3 Powerstroke. 6 pos. chip nothing other than that. So I was looking to unhook the converter lock up clutch and I simply cut the wire for that. (The converter would randomly lock when going into reverse and turn on the O/D flasher) The converter no does it more often and both in forward and reverse. I'm a bit unsure where i should go from here. I'm mechanically inclined and will try anything you may know of. Thank you for the help!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like a failing converter then.
"Mechanically inclined," but you cut the wire to "fix it?"

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ndnjames13

Reaction score
O no that was more along I wanted to make sure the converter could not be commanded to lock. So I think its a converter failure. I am going to pay to pull the tranny because it's Erie PA and i don't even have a garage. I was tossing the idea of a rebuild around but the trans itself feels very solid

ndnjames13

Reaction score
I agree but the tranny doesn't slip at all and I got all the Sonnax upgrades and transgo shift kit put in the valve body. I think I'm going to have it pressure tested and then see if form there what I want to do.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could the TC lockup wire be chaffed to where it is grounding itself out at random times causing the TC to lock unexpectedly?

ndnjames13

Reaction score
The converter wire itself is not connected and the computer has to send voltage to it to lock the converter. With the wire cut it will lock and unlock completely randomly, also it will shudder in 3rd and 4th. I just bought a brand new one and I think I'm going to install without a trans rebuild. I'll update.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I agree but the tranny doesn't slip at all

And?... just because it isn't slipping doesn't mean it's not failing. Typically you won't feel a torque converter slip anyways, as that's there job until lockup.
Maybe trackspeeder will make it by, quite a bit of knowledge on these.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ndnjames13

Reaction score
I understand, The shudder is from the converter because when I unhooked the wire it completely went away. I also have a code now for the torque converter clutch. This was before the wire cut.

ndnjames13

Reaction score
Well I have an update. Just hit me in the side of the head that my tail lights may be out. Changed the burnt third brake light and drove it about 30 miles and no codes or locking when it is not supposed to.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The converter wire itself is not connected and the computer has to send voltage to it to lock the converter. With the wire cut it will lock and unlock completely randomly, also it will shudder in 3rd and 4th. I just bought a brand new one and I think I'm going to install without a trans rebuild. I'll update.

Replace the converter before it completely fails. If you wait and the converter completely fails, then you will need a full rebuild.

ndnjames13

Reaction score
So I had a full rebuild done with a transtar torque converter and rebuild kit, got new solenoid packs too. issues are fixed now...