E4OD conversion research

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before the E40d haters come after me, I have a 4 door bronco, not a pickup. I dont really haul or tow with it. I thought I would be happy with the ZF5 but I drive mostly around town and am constantly wishing for an auto between stoplights. If I find a gear vendors for around 1K before the right deal on a E40d I may go with a C6. For now I am researching the swap. I have been searching and read dozens of threads about it but a few things are unanswered.

None of the threads I found mention the VSS. Does the E40D not need a VSS? i.e. the sensor in the rear axle.

I heard mentions about some E40D having a cable linkage?? My truck originally had a c4 in it so it has linkage from that still, would like to use it. Anybody know what years have the standard linkage?

My speedo goes into my t case so as long as it will bolt up I should be gtg on that.

From what I read the required items would be

TPS
TCM
X Member
Redo driveshafts (this sounds like the most PITA)

I am thinking I could do it for 2K including the rebuild and new TC.

What am I missing?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
big PITA harness. :-D i love e4ods. and would love to own one along with a zf5 truck. but im a poor boy who cant afford a "do-it once" build

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can think of a few things. Wiring harness I didn't see listed, but I bet you thought about. Some sort of shifter cable and lever. There is a range sensor on the shift linkage on the transmission. These is an OD on off button that also flashes when there is a problem. Crossmember might need to be moved or changed. You would probably want a cooler and lines to go with it.

Good luck with it if you decide to go that route.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The E4OD need a TPS, VSS and RPM signal to work.

92 and up use a cable manual lever. Pre 92 use a rod linkage for the manual lever.

To make your swap easy, use an after market transmission controller like PCS. Don't waste your time swapping the factory TCM and harness, they are junk.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the TSS I was looking at.

So if I need the VSS.... I seem to remember something about it being in the speedo hole on the t case. Any ideas on how to retain my mechanical speedo and have a VSS?? My old bronco had the VSS in the axle, do they make those in 1 ton? Even if they did prob would be near impossible to find one.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can be converted. Take the guts out and swap output shafts and reassemble.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like if I am rebuilding anyway that's feasible.

No one prob knows for sure but any opinions on wether that 89 vss would work for a later model? Sounds like after 95 is internally better.

I read in another thread that 89-91 e4od has different electronics. Are 92-97 units the same electrically besides the hard parts upgrades ?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Sounds like if I am rebuilding anyway that's feasible.

No one prob knows for sure but any opinions on wether that 89 vss would work for a later model? Sounds like after 95 is internally better.

I read in another thread that 89-91 e4od has different electronics. Are 92-97 units the same electrically besides the hard parts upgrades ?

87-91 VSS will work with a later tranny providing it has a port and drive gear. Most later units have a plastic plug but no gear.

Tranny years are 89-94 Then 95-98 If you swap a 94 unit to 92, it will be a direct swap. If you swap a 96 to 92. you will need to swap the solenoid pack. Transmissions will interchange freely in their year groups

You will need to change the manual position lever if you use a post 92 tranny in place of a pre 92 tranny. Post 92 has a cable to select the position.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
vss goes in the t-case for 4wd up to 1991 trucks. if its 2wd then it goes into the transmission

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh Ok. I will reuse my Xfer case so not a big deal.

What is the deal with this cable shifter? I have been trying to google pictures of it but I can get a clear understanding of it. For those of you that have seen it first hand can you tell me if you think it could be switched to standard linkage like you would see on a old ford (1977) of if I might be able to run the cable up to my column and rig it up to work? It looks much cheaper to rebuild a later model than update a early model.

Then again it is a turbo idi, not a PS, the most I would hope for is 500 Ft/lbs, I would think the early hard parts would hold up fine. Has a IDI ever physically broken the hard parts in one???