E40D Help 1992 7.3 E-350 IDI

supertom151

Reaction score
E40D The gear shift light,,,, lights up,,, telling me OFF
It starts in 2nd and goes to 3rd or it might be 4th??? and I do not have torq. converter lock up, I tried manually shifting it to first with no luck.
This happened after I had a no start with a warm engine and after I played with wires going to the I.P. and played with fuses under master brake cyl.
then it fired right up but then I had the trans. problem?

About 4 years and 30.000 miles ago I had the trans. rebuilt.
At that time I installed the updated TPS , new RPM sensor, and updated switch on the side of trans. this van has only 107.000 miles on it.
Can anyone HELP!!!!

Last edited:

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your speedometer work. The trans doesn't know when to shift if your speedo isn't working.

sootman73

Reaction score
make sure all your connections are tight. those wires under the master cylinder is the wiring harness for the trans to the computer. also make sure your plug on the passenger side that is vertical is seated fully. i didn't have mine plugged in all the way after replacing TC and it started in third and then went to fourth with no lockup. if all of that is tight then i would have it scanned. most likely sounds like a solenoid pack. they do some funny things when they go bad. it contains all the solenoids for shifts and lockup. as well as a fluid temp sensor(that went bad on mine) my tranny guy got one for me reman for $120. take about 45 minutes to change. just dropping pan and unbolting and then rebolting new one up there. in my truck the port to scan for that is not under the dash. its clipped to the drivers side fender right beneath the hood hinge. i am currently having problems with mine not locking up even with a new pack(second actually). if the pack wasn't replaced thats where i would check first.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
when my trans did this, i also was un able to pull codes. it was like the computer was dead. if this is your situation, then there is a relay, that puts power to the computer. mine blew. it was 20 bucks from ford.

supertom151

Reaction score
My speedometer works, and I did replace the relay the other day.
I will go over all the plugs one more time.
Thanks for your input guys.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is most likely an electrical problem. With no power to the transmission you will get:

2nd gear in "1" or "2"

4th gear in "(D)"

Reverse normally (might be a little harsh)

Keep digging in the wiring around were you were working. Sometimes simply disconnecting and reconnecting connectors will kill a gremlin.

It is possible that you have a bad solenoid, but those don't usually go bad.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
With no power to the transmission you will get:

2nd gear in "1" or "2"

4th gear in "(D)"

Reverse normally (might be a little harsh)

It is possible that you have a bad solenoid, but those don't usually go bad.

When I got my 93, the electrical connector was broken... inside the transmission. Trackspeeder came through for me, with a replacement pack..

sootman73

Reaction score
oh ya if you have a broken connector and it cracks the board it can cause serious damage to the tranny quick! i haven't had that happen before but my tranny guy has and he stressed that to me very clearly!

oh and if the first tranny was killed because of overheating then that can also fatigue and damage a circuit board.

supertom151

Reaction score
Would anyone know what fuse sends power to the trans. or what the diode is for?
I wish I could get at all the fuses under the master cyl. but its F. ing hard just to get at one let alone pull all of them out.
I checked all the fuses under the master and have power on / or to all of them but ( 3 ) so I looked in a book for gas vans and it said fuse's H N and P are for trailer lights?
If I could find out what fuse is for the trans. and or what the diode does it might help allot.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
When you open the cover, there'll be two rows of fuses. The bottom one in the left-hand row and the one below the diode should be the ones you want to pull.

supertom151

Reaction score
She works like new!!!!
It was a bad contact, as I told you I picked up a new relay 2 weeks ago and plugged it in with no luck, and I must have had it out more than 2 or 3 times after, but this time with the power on / key on, I felt it click on as I pulled it about 1/2 out, I pushed it back in and she clicked off, after going in and out 10 times she worked pushed in all the way.
I looked at the O.D. light and it no longer said OFF.
Thanks for your time guys.
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online