E brake termenology?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
im reading the haynes for the truck looking at the e brake setup and i notice that im missing the spring right off the bat. then i keep reading and it says...

"the parking brakes employ a cable system that incorporates a tension limiter. if the perking brake system is in normal operating condition, depressing the parking brake pedal to the floor will automatically set the proper tension and pedal feel." now first i dont get that because i thought that was with a ratcheting e brake? anyway, here's the tricky part.

"The system relies on a special cinch strap hook (part of the tension limiter) made of a malleable material that will deform at a given tensile load." ok i get the concept, but i dont know where the damn hook is?? is it the hook that goes from the cable end at the cab, that connects by a bolt to a piece of steel that holds the two cable ends for the brakes?

cinch strap hook...i dont know, i know that its the only hook in the assembly, but it sounds more important that it is.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that is it and it sucks, I welded a strap across mine because I dont like the truck and camper and trailer rolling away even on flat ground. I know it is there to keep from stretching the rear cables and linkages but I just apply till it stays put and so far so good.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you read is B.S. on pre-92 trucks, and I'm not sure about after that either. Where your cable splits from just one from the brake pedal, to the place where there are two cables, there is a lenghty piece of threaded rod with two nuts on it. This maliable material is in that hook that is at the end of that rod. I for one would never force the brake pedal farther than where it should be, which if properly adjusted is about 1 to 3 clicks for the ratchet model years.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 91, on the left side of the frame is a long u piece that rolls thru the bracket when overtorqued. I have all new cables and hardware,shoes and drums and it still takes some force to lock the drums.:dunno

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
this may be...it was either haynes, or chilton. i like haynes better...and better yet....i might have to go with my own alternative intervention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online