Duramax problem

dondiesel444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my father-in-laws GMC 2500, 2001 or 2002 no sure, about 65,000 miles on it. problem started once in a while at idle, it would puff some blue smoke and run a little rough, then it would clear up. then tonight he was driving and said that the power was WAY down and it had a terrible miss, and was blowing lots of smoke (blue). then it cleared up on it's own and is running fine now. I'm thinking injectors. there aren't any trouble codes, and the air and fuel filters are new.

what could it be? should he take it to the dealer? thanks in advance.

Max Power

Reaction score
Sounds like injectors. I would have him take it to the dealer. If he wants his injectors replaced, have him tell them that when its warm it cranks over a long time.

The good news is the injectors are now warrantied for 200,000 miles. They also change all 8 automatically.

Where is he located? I might be able to point you towards a good mechanic in his area.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
01 or 02s would havehad the Non-hardened injectors, so you are on the right path... MP has it right... They will probably look at the balance rate.. and then change them out.... Let us know what happens....

Any box or programmer on the truck?

dondiesel444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck is all stock. he does tow heavy with it. I'm not sure how helpfull the dealer where he got it will be. we live in Upstate NY, he bought the truck in Oneonta NY.

thanks for the info, I'll tell him to call the dealer and set something up I guess. so is there gonna be any charge for work done to the motor or injectors??

Max Power

Reaction score
They have been waiving the 100 deductable. No one i know of has paid it.

They will want to change the fuel filter as well. Tell him to provide his own or the dealer will wan't to rob him.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am a fellow Upstate NYer, and my old man drives Chevies and has had pretty good luck with Gables Chevrolet/GMC/Dodge also. Don't point at me, but they usually take good care of him. They are in Cobleskill, so it isn't really too far from ya. Scotty

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Had a similar problem with my Dmax. It started all of a sudden, low power, etc. The big sign was the coating of diesel fuel under teh truck. I took it in and the stealer kept it 2 weeks. I got 8 new injectors, 8 new fuel lines, and a new fuel pump. The delaer said a few of the stainless steel fulelines under the head had rusted off. I did have to pay the deductable. Truck was sold les than a month later. Luck with it and let us know what happens.

B [><]

albertm1954

Reaction score
Balance rates are + or - 4.0 but will not set a code until they exceed + or - 7.0. Also, an aftermarket feul filter will not be installed on a warranty repair. The injector lines that were replaced are just one more reason why G.M. is near bankruptcy, the lines naturally get corroded at the flange area because they are exposed to outside elements. Acareful inspection of the lines will reveal that the part of the flange that mates with the injector is just fine. They just need to be cleaned and reinstalled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online