Duralift vs Holley Red

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I am leaning toward the Duralift pump, but would definitely want to wire up an indicator light in cab for pump power as a quick reference for diagnostics (just in case).

What size fuel line do the IDI's use pre mechanical fuel pump, 1/4" or 1/8"?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/8" hose on the feed lines. 5/16" hose on the return. Note hose size and tube size are different. Hose is ID tube is OD.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Found that out a long time ago when trying to make cheap gasser intakes.

I'll be picking up more hose than I need just in case.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I got my pump a few days ago (day after I got my Stewart Warner thermocouple, that I have to return now). Duralift 40222.

4 questions.

1. In the install thread in the tech articles, it's stated that the threads are MPT. Did he mean NPT?

2. Does the pump have to be mounted upright? I was thinking about mounting it on its back in case I'd ever need to remove the fuel bowl, but I'm not sure how it will filter laying on its back. Either way I'll have to use channel locks to get it loose in the event the bowl needs removed. Not sure if it will affect the pumps operation either.

3. What thread size is the fitting on the 7.3L fuel filter head (side of the fitting that the hardline from the mech pump connects to)? For some reason I belive it's a flared fitting, like AN or SAE (same thing?).

4. Would I have problems with air pockets if I used a 1/8-1/4 npt bushing for a 1/4" tee? I have some 1/4 npt fittings laying around. Planning on running the tee fitting at the pump outlet with a barb on one side and a pressure gauge on the other.

Last edited:

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my pump a few days ago (day after I got my Stewart Warner thermocouple, that I have to return now). Duralift 40222.

4 questions.

1. In the install thread in the tech articles, it's stated that the threads are MPT. Did he mean NPT?

2. Does the pump have to be mounted upright? I was thinking about mounting it on its back in case I'd ever need to remove the fuel bowl, but I'm not sure how it will filter laying on its back. Either way I'll have to use channel locks to get it loose in the event the bowl needs removed. Not sure if it will affect the pumps operation either.

3. What thread size is the fitting on the 7.3L fuel filter head (side of the fitting that the hardline from the mech pump connects to)? For some reason I belive it's a flared fitting, like AN or SAE (same thing?).

4. Would I have problems with air pockets if I used a 1/8-1/4 npt bushing for a 1/4" tee? I have some 1/4 npt fittings laying around. Planning on running the tee fitting at the pump outlet with a barb on one side and a pressure gauge on the other.

Not sure about your other questions, but I think mpt stands for "male pipe threads"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about your other questions, but I think mpt stands for "male pipe threads"

Unless it's a miss type. All pipe threads are NPT (National Pipe Threads) It can be expressed like this NPTM or NPTF if designating a certain fitting with the size indicated before it, like 1/2" NPTM x 1/2" NPTM x 1/4" NPTF, that would be a Tee with the Tee'd being the 1/4" size.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Well that's one question down ;Sweet

Bull, your link isn't working. I'll be using brass fittings for the fuel, but I don't want to remove the fitting on the filter head, just put a barb fitting on it if I can.

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a mr.gasket electric diesel fuel pump($62) on my little truck,for 6 months now and has worked fine,its running through a 10 micron fuel filter,the pump,a 2 micron filter,then to ip(no waste crap gets run through my stuff,diesel only)and so far has worked down to 0 degrees.will have to see how long it works for,so far so good.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that's one question down ;Sweet

Bull, your link isn't working. I'll be using brass fittings for the fuel, but I don't want to remove the fitting on the filter head, just put a barb fitting on it if I can.

The fitting on the side of the filter (lift pump to filter) is a 90* inverted flare 1/4" NPTM. The other side is the same (filter to IP).

You have to remove the fitting on the filter head, there is no other place to put a barb fitting. You could remove the fitting from filter to lift pump, replace it with a street ell and screw a barb fitting into the ell so that it faces down. The 90* ell in the pic is a 1/4" NPT, pic is of the fitting on top of the IP with the check valve still attached to it.
Link is for all kinds of fittings.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Gardner-Westcott/472/J9033/10002/-1?parentProductId=1503683

Attachments

• DSCN0635.JPG
    DSCN0635.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 17
  • IP CHECK VALVE 2.jpg
    IP CHECK VALVE 2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 14

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those lil green electric pumps are ok in a pinch...but a real pump usually much bigger.

I used one of those on the White Rhino...now its on my six wheeler...amphibious atv

Just sayin

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The fitting on the side of the filter (lift pump to filter) is a 90* inverted flare 1/4" NPTM. The other side is the same (filter to IP).

You have to remove the fitting on the filter head, there is no other place to put a barb fitting. You could remove the fitting from filter to lift pump, replace it with a street ell and screw a barb fitting into the ell so that it faces down. The 90* ell in the pic is a 1/4" NPT, pic is of the fitting on top of the IP with the check valve still attached to it.
Link is for all kinds of fittings.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Gardner-Westcott/472/J9033/10002/-1?parentProductId=1503683

I see. I can grab some fittings at Lowe's next week. I'll keep the original hardline and fitting from the lift pump to the IP in the spare parts bin when I get them off. So the inlet into the filter head is in fact 1/4 npt?

gandalf

Reaction score
I removed and replaced the original intake fitting on the filter when I installed my Duralift pump. I replaced it with a single piece 90* ell, barbed intake end. This works well for me. You can see it in the lower left corner of the picture.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF9087.JPG
    DSCF9087.JPG
    830.3 KB · Views: 99

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online