Duallys?

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm tossing around the idea of making my truck a dually other then 6 dually wheels and the adapters for the front axle what else do I need if anything? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rear adapters, or axle,

From what I understand, inner dually wheels won't clear the spring on a srw rear end.

and fenders, or flatbed.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pm me if you want a set of adapters. I have a set I bought for my flatbed truck and ended up selling the truck before I ever used them.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
co denton, if you are using a pickup width dually in a regular pickup frame it will clear. If you try to put a cab chassis dually rear end into a pickup frame it wont fit.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The adapters for a srw axle are a set of spacers that push the wheels out from the springs and give you the correct lug size for dually wheels. I have a set as well.

Black dawg

Reaction score
How much weight do you plan on putting on it, might want to do something with the springs at the same time.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where could I get a set of adapters? And bout how much do they cost?
Arrowcraft has the adapters, but IIRC they aren't cheap.

One argument in favor of putting a DRW axle in...SRW axles have 3" brakes; DRW axles have 3 1/2" brakes.

Also...unless you're going the flat-bed route, finding a DRW pickup bed would be a good idea IMHO. You can find DRW fenders that will bolt to a factory SRW bed, but they're considerably more expensive than factory DRW fenders meant to go onto a DRW bed, and it's pretty much a guarantee that you'll have to replace at least one fender sooner or later...either from a tire blowing or someone sideswiping you or whatever.

JMHO...and, as Greg pointed out, a pickup DRW axle will keep the inner tires clear of the springs; a C&C axle is narrower and will have problems there, though.

Good luck with it ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was planning on going the flat bed route lol and what's cheeper? A dually axle or adapters?
The real question is, what are you going to be using the truck for? Are you doing the DRW conversion because you like how it looks or want a bit of extra stability, or are you planning to haul heavy and need the extra weight carrying capacity?

If you're hauling heavy, IMHO doing the axle's worth it even if it costs more...you have the extra material on the brake shoes, and you want all the braking capability you can get. BTW, on a similar note, hydroboost is seriously worth considering. Also, IIRC on a SRW axle with adapters, the wheel bearings aren't in the optimal location relative to the load being placed on the axle/wheels...I can see that leading to wheel bearing issues down the road if you're hauling heavy.

If it's primarily for looks, then it's not as big of a deal.

As to price...Arrowcraft doesn't have prices listed on their site, but I found a set of adapters on Amazon; they're just shy of $400. http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Adapter..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1412029668&sr=1-2 BTW, it's worth noting that the ad (and, for that matter, Arrowcraft's site) specifically says that your carrying capacity is not increased and is limited to what the axle's rated for.

I don't know how expensive an axle's going to be...it's all going to depend on what you can find and how proud the owner is of the axle...but, again, if you're going to be hauling heavy, I STRONGLY recommend swapping the axle even if it's going to cost more.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to do it for acouple reasons one for the looks of a 4x4 dually and the other is I'm gonna be starting to haul hay/straw and trailers and would like the extra weight to be spread out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726