Duallys?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to do it for acouple reasons one for the looks of a 4x4 dually and the other is I'm gonna be starting to haul hay/straw and trailers and would like the extra weight to be spread out
DO THE AXLE SWAP. From a safety perspective, and also from a maintenance perspective, this is going to be the better way to go. I'm not a farm boy (I mostly haul boats and boat parts and equipment trailers with my truck), but IIRC hay/straw is not light...and, if you're going to be towing, there's too much of a chance of getting a false sense of security with adapters and thinking you can carry more than you really can, which can have disastrous complications.

You really don't want to be taking chances with this...in the end, it's your equipment and your decision, but in my very strong opinion, you'd be crazy to use adapters on the rear. Get a DRW pickup axle and swap it in.

BTW, I was looking at doing a DRW swap on a factory SRW pickup, and was considering adapters...someone who knows a lot more about these trucks than I do spent quite a while convincing me that I was better off getting my hands on a DRW pickup axle and swapping it in. After learning the differences between the two axles, I'm very thankful that I listened to him.

If you don't know the full extent of the differences between the two axles, I would strongly suggest doing some research on the subject...

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks guys and does anyone have a factory turbo idi? And how does it run/last? Bc I've heard that they are prown to throw rods? I have always wanted one but kinda scared by what I heard... I was thinking if they are good running not gonna scatter I'll just buy one that's a dually bc the non turbo'd is little under powered with a load on, plus I have a guy wanting to buy my current idi so might be able to get a turbo'd dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the rod throwing is hearsay/wives tale. The turbo motors are supposed to have larger wrist pins to handle the power better than the N/A trucks, but I haven't heard of them wholesale chucking rods. I've never heard rampant reporting of ANY Ford IDIs throwing rods left and right.
Travis..

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Most of the reports I have seen about throwing rods or throwing the motor is from people working the hell out of the motors while also have them boosted up; usually always a higher mile and not the greatest maintenance record.

Personally I think if they are kept stock or around stock and maintained well, they are just as reliable or really close to an NA idi.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I plan on bumping the power up some on it but i know the nessary precautions to keep it together with 250 hp lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online