Dually wheel bearings

acleary555

Reaction score
I have a 92 F350 7.3 with a 10.25 rear end (dually). Im trying to find new rear bearings and seals for my axel but noone can come up with a listing for the dual rear end. Are the wheel bearings the same in all the different rear ends on F350 that year? Doesnt seem right to me. Any help appreciated.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would think the wheel bearings and seals would be the exact same ones used in the srw trucks yes.i see no reason why they would be different.
the rears are the same.it's just that the pickup drw is wider.

Timken 370047A is the good oil bath seal you'll want.it's listed for srw and drw axles see.i just put this in a 1st gen drw pickup axle just like in your truck.'93-97 2nd gens,nothing changed here either fyi.my bearings are like new,so i didn't bother.
for bearing part #'s just use the srw axle.the reason DRW option doesn't come up,is because it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone.com lists rear wheel bearings, it doesn't specify dual or single so it must not make any difference.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About all I know thats diffrant between the srw and the duallys is the width of the brake shoes. The srw shoes are 3 inch and the duallys are 3 1/2 inch wide. The width of the axle housing is differant as posted. I also read something about a couple of differant pinnion shaft lengths too but not up to speed on that..

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's right Gary,the 2nd gen sterling's, '93-97 got an upgraded longer pinion & yoke.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that link very helpful for everyone

Ya that's an issue that a few here IIRC have had happen....a pinion nut back off.

When time comes for me to regear..I'll order the parts for 93 up including a new yoke and I'll see about a crush sleeve elimination kit too...

Just sayin there's things one can do to mitigate an issue right from the get go...and eliminating a crush sleeve is paramount.

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The crush sleeve is the cheap quick easy way to assemble the pinnion nut and shaft. But a shim kit is the safer way to do this job. Once a crush sleeve has been crushed and the torque to turn the pinnion shaft is too much you can't just back off the pinnion nut. The sleeve is already crushed too much.. So you end up needing another sleeve and a new nut too. the nuts are supposed to be a one time tightening and then throw it away or risk is loosening up under load... That has happened t a few members here. Shim kit illimates all that cruch sleeve crap.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Get the hand press Scotseals for those rear hubs, do not apply any kind of sealer to them, they will lock themselves to the shaft and hub This is a seal that rotates inside itself and will not leak if properly installed, so install square and follow torquing procedure carefully.
Before spending a minor fortune on bearings, you might want to inspect those things, those are some BIG bearings with a big pricetag and they rarely give out unless left to run loose or with worn out lubricant, again, be sure to follow torquing procedure carefully loose bearings are a recipe for disaster, tapered bearings like a preload, the instructions will give you the proper amount.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Thanks for that link very helpful for everyone

Ya that's an issue that a few here IIRC have had happen....a pinion nut back off.

When time comes for me to regear..I'll order the parts for 93 up including a new yoke and I'll see about a crush sleeve elimination kit too...

Just sayin there's things one can do to mitigate an issue right from the get go...and eliminating a crush sleeve is paramount.

Al
Yep, pinion nut on my 88 is loose. Sorta glad I'm not driving it anymore because if that. Well also the tie rods are worn. Going down the highway was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. ROFL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well also the tie rods are worn. Going down the highway was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. ROFL
I believe the more correct expression would be "like steering a cruise ship atop a tsunami wave". The "hotdog down the hallway" is usually reserved for a different scenario... lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe the more correct expression would be "like steering a cruise ship atop a tsunami wave". The "hotdog down the hallway" is usually reserved for a different scenario... lol
Yeah, for sure. Lol I guess I should've said bouncy ball. It was all I could think off. Been a long day and night.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But a shim kit is the safer way to do this job.
So how exactly does one use such a shim kit? Remove crush sleeve and measure its thickness, stack some shims to the same height, slide them on the pinion in place of the crush sleeve, and retorque the pinion nut to whatever number it calls for when used w/ crush sleeve? Then check rollover preload on pinion, and remove shims to increase it or add shims to decrease it as needed? I'm wanting to do the shim kit but I don't wanna open the axle yet again, if direct replacement of crush sleeve w/ identical stack of shims is all that's needed life would be all rainbows and unicorns for me, lol.