DT466 realities...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really great pics showing how things are going. you know we all love pics. I see the 4 legg helper enjoying the ride too...:angel::thumbsup:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
interested in the regulator idea. have one picked out? maybe a link? i'm getting a custom alum. rad made and going to try to use a plasic 6.0 fixed fan. maybe i'll run evans coolant. i just like the availability of the green juice! :rolleyes:

I don't have one picked out.

The way the economy is going, I may stick to the green stuff myself!!

wvmudder

Reaction score
Nice thread so far! Any updates? I just bought a 94 DT408 NGD coupled to a spicer 5 spd thats going in a 96 F350 Crew cab. Its off road only so Im not worried if I need to massage the firewall a little, or a lot. A this point my only concern is the engine mounts, would you mind posting those pics up?

Thanks,
Dave S.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Nice thread so far! Any updates? I just bought a 94 DT408 NGD coupled to a spicer 5 spd thats going in a 96 F350 Crew cab. Its off road only so Im not worried if I need to massage the firewall a little, or a lot. A this point my only concern is the engine mounts, would you mind posting those pics up?

Thanks,
Dave S.

Things were put on hold for a bit, but there are plans in motion to get this drivetrain mounted and rolling in the next little while.

Will try to get some shots of the mounts when I can. It may be a few weeks. Lots of young people passing away in and near our family this last month. Puts projects waaaay down on the priority list.

6D9N24/7

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear of your losses ocnorb, that does put a massive damper on everything i imagine. I cannot wait to see more details and info on this build, what you have done so far is absolutely amazing, a real inspiration to myself seeing as a 466 swap has always been somewhat of a pipedream for me, but one day i hope to do exactly this.

Take care, god bless.

tnpete

Reaction score
How hard of a job is it to put the RTO6610 kit in the RT6610? I have the 6610 in my F800 and 4.56 gears. So need to drop that top side of the trans or change out rear end gears. Was even thinking about just dropping in an 18 speed .
Also what gears are you thinking about running in this one when its done?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
How hard of a job is it to put the RTO6610 kit in the RT6610? I have the 6610 in my F800 and 4.56 gears. So need to drop that top side of the trans or change out rear end gears. Was even thinking about just dropping in an 18 speed .
Also what gears are you thinking about running in this one when its done?

The kit is fairly straight-forward install. The transmission manual is on Roadranger's website and has a very good set of instructions. Be sure to loosen the output nut (HUGE socket) before you pull the trans. The rest is just a lot of drifts and clips.

Grigg on 4BT has it all well documented here: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?6668-Fuller-trannys-and-RoadRanger-ten-speeds

tnpete

Reaction score
Thanks I may try it this winter. Not sure this is a project I want to tackle by my self. So may just have to hire help.
Pete

tnpete

Reaction score
11/R24.5's 4.56 rear end and the Rt6610 for now. Still not sure If I will swap out the Rear End of turn the trans into a RTO6610 or try to find a big boy toy trans and just put a 18 over in it. Will be pulling a 16,000 lb 5th wheel behind it grossing around 30,000 lbs. As everyone is looking for the setup that gives me good speed on the roads, but still pulls good. Right now the 7.8 is turning 2000 RPM's to hit 55 MPH. But will pull like a 3406 cat turned up and burning up the roads. Just not fast just pulls like crazy. I can hit around 70 MPH now but turning 2600 RPM's. Now I know on this motor that is where the Max HP rating shows. But man the motor is screaming when your running that.
But it does have Straight 5" Stacks on it. Will be adding the quietest muffler I can get on it. And if I have to run the exhaust out the rear of the 207" Wheelbase.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Some gearing calcs

I built this spreadsheet to figure out gearing and look at my options with this transmission. Just for fun I ran your tire size and gearing (4.56) at 2000 rpm. I highlighted the line that you would be running in green. The rest is for adding a brownie over/under. With no brownie you will be the same as direct:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is 4.10 gears @ 2000 RPM:

Here is 3.73 gears @ 2000 RPM:

These may be off a little as an 11R24.5 is about 43.5- 43.8 inches depending on wear. But you can see that what you have now is the same as 9th gear on these charts. Adding the overdrive really gives your truck some legs even with your 4.56 gears.

tnpete

Reaction score
Wow that would change it for sure. Tires are around 80% all around. But will have to pick up a set. Steers are OK but can't get them to run true. Rears are recaps. But betting they will out last me.
Pete

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Time...

Any updates to the project? I have had a few DT's apart over the past few months, and I really like them.

Motor and transmission are in storage until I have some time in my schedule. Trying to talk myself into (or out of - depending on the day) putting this drive train in a 50's vintage IH COE that is for sale near me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online