DT466 realities...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Photos man!

We NEED photos!

:D

Heath

i liked seeing all of the pictures so far but i wouldn't complain of seeing more.

Ok, OK!!

Boring as all get out, but here we go:

My old exhaust is trying to occupy space that the Roadranger wants:

You must be registered for see images attach

It lost:

You can see that I have all the air lines reconnected. The red and black ones from the shifter are going into some new 'push' style connectors I picked up tonight. Just need an air source now...

New oil filters and 28 or so quarts of Delo 400:

Sneak peak of the new fuel filters sticking out slightly below the frame rail:

I will certainly redo this in the future. Need to add a water separator for sure. As you can see I frame mounted my trusty Carrier pump right before the filters:

I used a steel T bracket to mount the dual filter head. The T bracket came from a local bowling alley- my daughter bought a couple lanes and we made a bench for her shop/garage. The wooden lanes were supported every 4 feet with these brackets; I'm guessing to allow it slide on the cement as it expanded and contracted. Anyway its been handy stuff to have around.

From above:

I wanted to show you guys how this Willys looked when I was moving a 7.3 IDI around with it, but the pictures didn't turn out. Here is one of a measly little Buick V6:

The IDI had this thing squatting down on the frame begging for mercy!! It moved it ok though. Not bad for a redneck home-built tractor.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Please show us how the hoist connects to the Jeep.

Is it on a receiver or how ??

I have seen several pictures of how farmers have retrofitted shop-cranes onto three-point hitches that were somewhat ingenious.

Your idea eliminates the need for a tractor and could be utilized on just about any truck.

Thanks for sharing.

By the way, I admire your grit and perserverance for tackling such a monumental task mostly on the outside; one is hard-pressed to do such involved projects out-of-doors in Kentucky, as it rains every day.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Please show us how the hoist connects to the Jeep.

Is it on a receiver or how ??

I have seen several pictures of how farmers have retrofitted shop-cranes onto three-point hitches that were somewhat ingenious.

Your idea eliminates the need for a tractor and could be utilized on just about any truck.

Thanks for sharing.

By the way, I admire your grit and perserverance for tackling such a monumental task mostly on the outside; one is hard-pressed to do such involved projects out-of-doors in Kentucky, as it rains every day.

You guessed it! It does mount into a reciever hitch- this reciever is up in the bumper and off to the passenger side as it was origianlly designed for a

The top is supported by a 2.5" tie down strap that can be ratched really tight around the roll bar. The roll cage actually takes most of the weight and the hitch just acts as a pivot point of sorts. The hoist just has a short piece of reciever bar welded to it.

I will try and get a better pic of the business end. And yeah- I was thinking about buying a small tractor when I thought of this... LOL

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Mr ocnorb.

The next one of those cranes that I find at a swap-meet for a bargain price is coming home with me.

I have a small 25-HP diesel tractor, complete with 3-point hitch, full-hydraulic loader, and a home-made pivoting boom-pole; but, I think your set-up can sometimes do things that my tractor can't, plus I like the fact that it can be poked into any receiver on any vehicle, thus allowing one to take the crane anywhere he might go in a truck, such as to pull junk-yard engines and the like.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
boy that works a lot like my '74 IH wrecker. although the wrecker can lift 15' into the air with the boom extended. which is nice for pulling egines on scrap while it's still on the trailer!
You must be registered for see images

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Im not gonna lie. I just want the 5 speed...and a build on the 'Manche, and more pix.

SWS

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Thanks Mel.

I am worried about the velocities getting too high. Using the spreadsheet to see what different combinations of pulleys do to the speed is the best this shade tree mechanic can do. An engineer I work with has done some solidworks analysis of the mounts for me, but he flat out hates fluids and told me he struggled with that class. It would be tough to model it anyways without tearing the motor down and measuring everything the best you could.

Hopefully Evans answers my e-mail, as they seem to have done the research in this area. :sly

Any idea how many gph/m the 466 pump moves?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
anymore progress? what are you doing to use the DT steering pump? i sent mine to PSC and they sent it back saying they've never seen one before...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
anymore progress? what are you doing to use the DT steering pump? i sent mine to PSC and they sent it back saying they've never seen one before...

Sadly no. Old man winter is beating this down. My garage just isn't big enough for a truck and its been too cold to do more than daydream. Spending all my money driving south to race motorcycles this time of year. :sly

I was going to run the pump with an adjustable pressure regulator that would bypass back to the return line.

Any idea how many gph/m the 466 pump moves?

I looked in my book, but I could not find flow information. Evans' engineers recommended staying close to the factory flow, so I didn't go any further.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
interested in the regulator idea. have one picked out? maybe a link? i'm getting a custom alum. rad made and going to try to use a plasic 6.0 fixed fan. maybe i'll run evans coolant. i just like the availability of the green juice! :rolleyes: