DT466 realities...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I need some good feed back from some of you who's opinions I have learned to trust. :hail I need to make a decision before Thursday night.

I've been offered a DT466 mated to a 5 speed for $1K. It was in a "cab-over" farm truck that was wrecked on the drivers side. Claims it only had 70K miles on it when pulled, but admitted that he had no way to prove it. He is unclear what year it is, but says mid 80s.

I understand that I will need to cut my firewall, and have no problem doing so. I am envisioning a small doghouse that is removable for service.

The motor has been out of my truck since January. My 6.9 block has been deemed to be un-salvagable by the local machine shop. (Not totally true- its just $$ to have it fixed.)

WEIGHT- What are the realities here? I have the parts to do hydro-boost.
Springs- I have a Dana 60 ready to go in. Springs could be ordered specifically for the extra weight.

Oil pan clearance- This is the one that really worries me. Can this be done and keep the motor down low in the chassis??

Any opinions expressed will be gratefully considered, thanks!

Corey

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An '80's DT466 may be a B or C version, depending on if it was early or late 80's. Weight is 400lbs more than your 6.9. Not significant. You could put an extra leaf in the pack if you feel the need, but not deal breaker by any means. The Dana 60 is up to the task and would be a great addition to the truck with or with a DT. Pan clearence of the crossmember? Shouldn't be a problem on rear sump DT's. Front sump will need to be converted. Length is you enemy with the DT466, not width, height.

Just a little bit is needed to have really great power from a DT466.

Can't wait to get to play with mine.

Heath

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thanks Heath. I was hoping you would weigh in.

Do you know if a "B" block can be upgraded to roller lifters?

I guess for the price it is worth the risk. Wish me luck! ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy who pulls tractors in Arkanas has swapped his flat tappet lifters for rollers in his DT466 puller, so the parts are out there. Just not sure if the stockers can swap or if they are performance shop specialty parts only.

Heath

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
My buddy who pulls tractors in Arkanas has swapped his flat tappet lifters for rollers in his DT466 puller, so the parts are out there. Just not sure if the stockers can swap or if they are performance shop specialty parts only.

Heath

That is good to know. Thanks again.

Now I just need to get the seller to call me back! Its about 3 hours each way, so it would suck to go all that way for nothing. Hope to go get it tomorrow right after work.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I am pretty excited!! We leave tomorrow afternoon to go get the DT.

Already thinking about a bigger rear axle... doh!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I'm going to use a F450 Dana 80. The issue with that axle is the 10 x 7.5 lug pattern. I'm going to machine/mod the hubs to the standard 8 x 6.5 pattern. There are lots of heavy Dana 80 parts out there from the pulling market to help me keep it from shattering with all that torque.

I've gotta get the crew cab done so I can play with the DT466 project some more. It's a really big project, but one that will be worth it............. at least worth it to me.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can be stuffed under the hood without a firewall modification if you are willing to remote mount the radiator.LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using an Eaton Fuller FS-6306 transmission. I will likely mod it to FSO-6406 specs (overdrive in 6th). I will run a divorced SCS 4x2/4x4 selectable transfer case. That will be pretty close to overkill as SCS claims to have never had a failure.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Heath

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at the pics above though, you wouldnt have to cut that far into the can to run a rad and electric fans. maybe 6", prolly stilll be able to use factory heat and AC ducts.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you've seen THIS BUILD being done down in Georgia. It's on PSN. He's using a NGD or P series DT466. Not my 1st choice for a F350 as those have a tall valve cover/intake combo. I'll do things a bit differently, like not remove the front crossmember from the frame and certainly not notch the oil pan. But, with that DT466, the intake is at the very top of the motor and height becomes a probem. Not something that is a big issue on the B or C series DT's.

Heath

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I would love a 466 in mine. But what trans/transfer case combo would you have to run to hold up?

I will be using an RTO-6610. SAE #2...supposed to bolt right up. Will have to do divorced transfer case, but have not figured out which one yet... somehow my 205 seems too small now.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be using an RTO-6610. SAE #2...supposed to bolt right up. Will have to do divorced transfer case, but have not figured out which one yet... somehow my 205 seems too small now.

There's a guy with a F250 with a John Deere 466. He uses it for truck pulls only. He couldn't keep a 205 together behind the JD466. He swapped to an SCS and has not had any more problems.

Heath

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Well, it turns out to be a 'B' block DTA466. Looks like it has the MW pump. The aftercooler really sticks up, so I may need to find a normal intake manifold.:D

We rolled into the old homestead about 12:30 last night after a nice police officer stopped us for dragging chains and making sparks. We may have loaded the motor too far forward... :angel:

Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture. I will get some better ones up later.

The guy had a whole yard full of 50's and 60's IH trucks. I ended up buying a perfect set of scripted International emblems for my '57 while we were there for about 1/3 what they go for on flees-bay.

Time to get to work. Putting a Dana 44 front axle in my daughters Commando this weekend. Need it done so I can get working on the 466.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online