DT466 bosch pump (1996 4900 International)

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I saw that big Chevy pickup with the cummins swap and a 10 speed and thought it was sweet. I'd like a DT with a 13spd double OD.-Drool

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
RT6610 and 6613 are the smallest of the truck trannies that'll fit. Non overdrive though. I think they made an RTO6613 (the O is overdrive)too. In a 2WD it shouldn't matter. You could even get a Brownie box and install it in reverse so you can have 100% overdrive.
True, you could have a self sustaining forum just on Ford swaps.
93-97 have a P-pump.
84-92 have an MW pump, and around 89 they added roller lifters.
75-83 have the Model100 rotary.
More "fuel" for thought: The DT series can spin to 4500 rpm without flying apart. Take that Cat C7 and Cummins 6CT boys!
My goal would be 450-500hp and still pass a state snap-throttle test(fairly clean burn with a trace of fog/ not smokey).

Last edited:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Plenty of cheap engines, wet liners, and the thought that not a lot of these swaps have been done yet make it a win/win. 500hp and 1250lb/ft of torque, 10-13spds running tall gears is a beautiful thing. And without even going into the motor. Totally cost effective. This DT Forum must be done.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Plenty of cheap engines, wet liners, and the thought that not a lot of these swaps have been done yet make it a win/win. 500hp and 1250lb/ft of torque, 10-13spds running tall gears is a beautiful thing. And without even going into the motor. Totally cost effective. This DT Forum must be done.
The cheapest ones I've seen are in the mid West. I was just leaning towards a Ford Swaps forum in general, not specific to the "Man's engine".

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Hey, it doesn't matter which way, we need to get this "big block" diesel swap thing going. Even big Perkins, John Deere, and any other farm diesel for that matter. Here's another swap idea to keep it in the family: New Holland (Brazilian) Ford 6.6/7.8 in a pickup. Same pump mods, upgraded turbo as specced for a DT. I wish it wasn't a parent bore motor, but hey, it's big.
Hey, the future is now. Big cubes, big fun! And remember ;burnout;burnout;burnout;burnout

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
You've turned up the Brazilian motors, haven't you? I've heard they respond well, but are detonation prone and you have to watch the timing. What's the deal?

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/user/nevrenufhp
They do respond well. They have some issue that I'm not totally sure of. If I saw one blown up, I could tell better. I heard on another forum that they dont like a lot of timing, and something about oiling maybe. My first fueling experience with an MW pump was with the 7.8 in the videos. I learned in the Army in the 90s to stay away from the GM 6.2/6.5.
I need to go to the local injection shop, I got some ideas. 13mm plungers, 3k gsk, and a few other tricks......then I gotta find turbos to match. You think a 450hp DT466 package would sell well? Pump, turbo, and hardware. Maybe I should make 466 to F350 motor mounts, or a whole kit including the firewall sheetmetal template. Or just offer the service to do it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
i would be the first one to buy that kit! I am thinking about putting REALLY numerically low gears in the rearend and running that 10 speed direct.....it wouldn't be a highway rig, but then again with all those gears it wouldn't be a city truck either!

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/user/nevrenufhp
They do respond well. They have some issue that I'm not totally sure of. If I saw one blown up, I could tell better. I heard on another forum that they dont like a lot of timing, and something about oiling maybe. My first fueling experience with an MW pump was with the 7.8 in the videos. I learned in the Army in the 90s to stay away from the GM 6.2/6.5.
I need to go to the local injection shop, I got some ideas. 13mm plungers, 3k gsk, and a few other tricks......then I gotta find turbos to match. You think a 450hp DT466 package would sell well? Pump, turbo, and hardware. Maybe I should make 466 to F350 motor mounts, or a whole kit including the firewall sheetmetal template. Or just offer the service to do it.

With what you know, it'd all come down to proper marketing and promotion. Build the truck, the kit and offer the service to those who don't want to get dirty. Price point yourself in such a way that it would be cheaper to do the IH than even a Cummins 5.9. Then hit every show you can get to with the DT installed in a F350, with the 450hp kit. Show how much of an mpg improvement you can get running the kit on the MDs. Make lots of videos of the DT powered F350 on the road, chassis dyno, doing work haulin' stuff. Real world mpg loaded, empty, pulling heavy. Like I was telling Goofy, a settup like this would be great as a hotshot.
How much product do you want to sell? How many people do you want to see with a DT under the hood? As long as it is comparable or more cost effective than a 5.9 Cummins, it will do well.
Which means there has to be some competition: drag racing and tractor pulling. Show what the kits can do, smack the cummins folk around a little bit!

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
it's too bad that there is not a company out there that would sponsor a build like this.....to take all the guess work out of building a truck, then make a kit and market it. There is the market for build ups like this.....i wish i had templates and motor mounts to bolt in, but I gotta start from scratch. I just thought of something....I hope my tractor can lift a dt466!!

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
You don't want other people capitalizing on something like this, they'll take the concept (steal is more like it) and make a buttload. This'll drive up the cost of used DT's and defeat the point of doing the swap in the first place.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
This is true....around these parts, a used ANYTHING will cost you almost double what it is worth. Unless you know the person, you will be over paying and no one wants to lower their prices. I found a 10 speed direct tht came from a DT466 for $500 with the clutch, which is an awsome deal on that transmission....but a used DT466 can run you upto $3500....and the motor isn't even complete. I even found a non turbo ford engine with 250 000 kms and the guy wanted $1500 for it..the price of stuff around here is a little over the top.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
There's my market, buy cheap engines in Indiana, then take em up North.
The 466 swap shop was actually my plan after getting the 466 Super Duty done. It was going to be a pro-street, yet still be able to tow. And, look like a work truck still for the sleeper effect. I was hoping for 11s in the qtr mile. I had an Allison AT545, mainly for the size and they can shift quicker than the bigger ones. For a real working truck, cant beat an MD3060R. Double overdrive with a retarder on the back! My downfall is sheetmetal fab, I'm terrible at it. But a guy I work with is great at it, and has a TIG welder. I was gonna build the Super Duty, then drive it to a few shows, drive it to work for a while, tow with it, then ebay it. In reality, it's just as cheap to buy a used bus, then scrap out the body, and sell all the good stuff.
Weight, as I heard, 1400 without the air compressor.
You can lift it with 2 engine hoists, but that's really combersome. That's also on a paved driveway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online