DT466 bosch pump (1996 4900 International)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I drive a heavy duty International 4900 tandem dump truck, with a 190 horsepower DT466 and Eaton 8LL in it. Not a bad motor and transmission.....until you come to any type of a hill....this truck can SMELL a hill coming for miles. I lose gears going up hill EMPTY....Ive had loaded trucks pass me when I was empty. It's GVWR is 26 000 kgs and should have something like a 400 big cam or N14 select plus as an engine and not a dt466 with only 190 horse tune on it.

If I remove the AFC housing, remove the fuel plate and turn the "star wheel" to loosen the spring, and then install my fuel plate all the way forwards, what kind of horsepower gain am I going to get?

The engine is intercooled and runs like a top. The only reason I am doing this is because the truck usually hauls 17-18 ton loads of gravel our of a gravel pit and I am sick of downshifting like a mad man when I get to the hills. I know it's not going to perform like a twin turbo C13 cat or anything, but ANY power gain I can get I will take!

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Hard to say because every engine reacts differently to timing and delivery changes; somebody on the Cummins side may have done the same thing exactly the same way and may have some numbers for you. If anything, the effect is going to be more intense because the size difference.
If you don't mind spending a little money and get really good advice, you could call TST and tell them what you have and they can recommend a plate for what you are doing. A 100hp boost makes life a lot easier on the job.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
10-4! I would be happy if I could squeeze even 50 horsepower out of it! I know that there is potential to get 1000hp out of the 466, but I don't have deep pockets lol.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
It is the same style as the Dodges. Same pump mods apply. You can slide the plate full forward, or even grind it flat to a #0 profile. Tighten up the gov springs, and advance the timing a little.
I know what you're saying on the hills, our work trucks "used to be" that slow.:sly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbw7J3zXA4E
It will only be about 40hp, but will feel like much more. If you shop around, you may find a bigger pump for a decent price, used. Here's one for $2700: http://www.pulloff.com/read.php?3,22652 That should get you to 600hp or so on stock injectors. Requires a turbo, head studs, and probably a better drivetrain.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
what exactly does sliding the plate forward do? Is it like turning in the fuel delivery screw on my IDI? Or does it change the torque curve on the motor? What do I grind and how much? I REALLY can't do anything to hurt this truck and I have no idea how the P-pump works.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
what exactly does sliding the plate forward do? Is it like turning in the fuel delivery screw on my IDI? Or does it change the torque curve on the motor? What do I grind and how much? I REALLY can't do anything to hurt this truck and I have no idea how the P-pump works.

The best thing to do is to get a prefabbed plate if you don't know what to do, that way nothing gets goofed up. I believe the torque plate controls the way the fuel curve is shaped, and hence the power output. Every power level has a particular shaped plate. The TST kits take away the guesswork.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is to just slide the stock one forward. Then see how you like it. It does dump more fuel in, and makes more power across the rpm range. Advancing the timing will move the torque curve higher in the rpm band. Keep it at 19* or less to save the headgasket.
Take off the cover:
You must be registered for see images attach

Then loosen up the 2 screws holding in the plate, and slide towards the front of the truck:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
It started as 230hp, aftercooled. Now I'd say it's about 270hp and roughly 800 pounds of tork. That's with the work done in my sig. Fuel economy went from 3.9 to 5.7 mpg on a tankful avg(27k pounds empty). EGT.....not sure, I'm flyin blind. Similar trucks report a max of 1200* EGT. Generally, the biggest mpg gain is when the timing is advanced.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What about grinding the stock fuel plate to a #0 or a #100 profile? I realize i can't turn it back to stock after i grind it, but will it make more power?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
What about grinding the stock fuel plate to a #0 or a #100 profile? I realize i can't turn it back to stock after i grind it, but will it make more power?

If the profile and adjustments are done properly, it will make more power.;Sweet
Just got off the phone with ATS, and they recommend a #6 plate, set midway. Will give a 80-100hp increase with enough room to make more power depending on how far forward you move the plate. A #10 plate will have to be positioned full forward. They are asking 235.00 for the kit, TST might be cheaper direct from them, and possibly there is a used plate on ebay that someone is selling because a #6 wasn't enough for them.
With the extra plate in hand, if you decide to leave the job you can set the truck back to stock again.

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
A 0 plate is as far as it goes. I'll bet my paycheck you dont get 100hp out of it! From experimenting on the same truck, and a few others, the best power is with a 0 plate set about .060" from full forward. Too much rack travel is a bad thing. If you go too far, you will notice the power increase if you let up on the pedal from full throttle. Even if you do a 0 plate, you can get it pretty close to stock. The flat profile gives a fat punch of tork as soon as booost hits.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
A 0 plate is as far as it goes. I'll bet my paycheck you dont get 100hp out of it! From experimenting on the same truck, and a few others, the best power is with a 0 plate set about .060" from full forward. Too much rack travel is a bad thing. If you go too far, you will notice the power increase if you let up on the pedal from full throttle. Even if you do a 0 plate, you can get it pretty close to stock. The flat profile gives a fat punch of tork as soon as booost hits.

I know you have been at this for a while, where do a set of delivery valves come in? Let's say you do the valves and a plate without doing the injectors or do you have to match all three?:dunno

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Max from Hypermax says not to replace injectors until you are closer to 600hp. Basically, it's all pump magic. Careful on delivery valves, they get smokey fast! Try .191, or laser cuts if you're feelin frisky. You will quickly reach the turbo's limits too. S300's for Dodges are plentiful, but you need to adapt it in. IH has some facory replacement S300's, which are direct bolt in. All in how crazy you wanna be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online