Drivers door won't open, inside or outside

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I should give a little background info on this problem.
This door had/has a problem with the latch inside the door, it would not stay closed.
Moving the latch "jaws" did not seem to help, the closing problem, and of course I slammed the door too hard once, then it stayed shut.

The window is down and I can see everything on the inside of the door.
Pushed on the door while trying to open it, didn't do anything..
Have the door panel partially open, but cannot remove it because of the last screw behind the dash.
Took the handle off to avoid breaking it,
All of the rods, connected to the latch are in place.
The key turns back & forth ok, the push button on the handle is "in" some.
From the handle button I can push on the rod that would normally open the latch, its very solid and does not move either direction.
The power lock motor moves up & down ok.
Sprayed down the latch.
If I missed any major points please ask.
Any past experiences would be appreciated.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the door panel forgiveable? Meaning willing to ahem, REMOVE it, or can you fully access that latch in the door?

Can you get a small prybar or lg screwdriver between door and door frame on inside and pry it a tad...while someone outside works the push button and pulls on handle...all the while working on inside of door at latch?

I've had it where I've had to remove door panel and essentially full on manually release that mechanism in the door and then replace it afterwards...

Might want a new mechanism before doing too much...

Also try LIFTING on outside handle while pressing button and working IN/OUT on door..

JM2CW

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had this issue.
turned out to be the nylon bushing on the striker that was bolted on to the pillar.
with the inside latch in the "open" position, i was able to kick it open.
take the striker off the passenger side door, and install it on the driverside.
if that cures it, you know the issue.
it was amazing how .010" on the diameter of the nylon on the striker mattered.

here is me turning the nylon down in my grinder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_yY_-REPQY&list=UUeOaJTOsAypB8fJnjLCWSkQ

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, IDIoit beat me to it! For those of us without centerless grinders, slide the bushing on a bolt and tighten a nut on it. Chuck it in a drill or press and hold some sandpaper to it.

Test fit the bushing with the lock jaw mechanism closed but door wide open, so you don't end up having to fight to re-open the door.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the door panel forgiveable? Meaning willing to ahem, REMOVE it, or can you fully access that latch in the door?

Can you get a small prybar or lg screwdriver between door and door frame on inside and pry it a tad...while someone outside works the push button and pulls on handle...all the while working on inside of door at latch?

I've had it where I've had to remove door panel and essentially full on manually release that mechanism in the door and then replace it afterwards...

Might want a new mechanism before doing too much...

Also try LIFTING on outside handle while pressing button and working IN/OUT on door..

JM2CW

Thanks Al, after you mentioned using a prybar between the door and body,I did try that, it seemed like moved out just a little.
The door panel right now is pulled back enough to get my arm in that area, and maybe only loosing just the first layer of skin on my forearm...:D and i did think of pulling the door panel off completey, just snapping it off.:eek:
I'll try lifting the door that could work.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sit on the seat, lift your legs up, one good kick at the door and it'll fly open. Had to do that with my 92 rear door when I first got it. The lock jaws are misaligned. You'll see if it's high or low, it'll mark the nylon sleeve.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SUCCESS....(with pics too)

First pic, looking in the from the top.

Second pic, this is looking at door panel and how far its open.

Door's open, woo hoo, notice door panel sticking open. Didn't have to break the door panel,.....Bonus.;Sweet

Bottom left pic.
Ok heres where I can explain, hopefully, what I think happened.
Below the round yellow piece, is part of the locking mechanism, the door opened when I pushed this down all the way.
What I can guess is the power lock did not disengage the latch all the way, lock was partially engaged:dunno so when I closed the door it messed up.:dunno
So now the door opens and closes normally, but haven't tried the power lock yet, and yes the door panel will stay off for a while.
Took the pickup for a ride, (engine overhaul, will start a rebuild thread soon, developed a injector miss, :backoff)
Thanks again everyone for the input
Here's a tease on the rebuild thread,

A cam from Russ,:love:-Drool-Drool

Attachments

• 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 137.jpg
    137.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 139.jpg
    139.jpg