Drive shaft spins, truck doesn't move

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Glad it wasn't the dif that blew up! I'd still look into that ring gear though, as it looks worn.

Hawk601

Reaction score
I'm guessing the guy who replaced the bearings didn't tilt the rear to allow diff oil all the way down the Axle

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that caused it, it would have broken right away.

Once he started driving, the oil got to the bearings.

Not tilting the axle from side to side after changing bearings would not have caused this.

If neither of you ever changed the diff lube, and it got too low to keep lubing the bearings... -that- could have caused this.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If that caused it, it would have broken right away.

Once he started driving, the oil got to the bearings.

Not tilting the axle from side to side after changing bearings would not have caused this.

If neither of you ever changed the diff lube, and it got too low to keep lubing the bearings... -that- could have caused this.

Plus, they say to grease the bearings before installation. That way they won't be dry until oil can be run through them.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed ALL of mine over the summer. I greased every one of them with synthetic grease. The front ones got packed thoroughly. The rear ones, I just lightly greased them, in my hand before installing them. Making sure that the grease was well worked through the bearings, but not 'packed' in them.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that axle looks very dry! even a short drive should have given some lubrication to that axle. Do you have any idea how low the oil was?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Saw one this summer that looked just like that........bearings were welded to the spindle.....