Drive shaft spins, truck doesn't move

Black dawg

Reaction score
Have you guys actually seen a pinion shaft fail before?? Genuinely curious, because I have never seen that happen, especially with something sized for a 3/4 ton pickup

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Have you guys actually seen a pinion shaft fail before?? Genuinely curious, because I have never seen that happen, especially with something sized for a 3/4 ton pickup
It couldn't really be anything else other than the pinion, the ring gear, or the axle shafts. I tend to think in steps. The first link after the driveshaft is the pinion. Then the ring gear. Then the axle shafts. (to overly simplify)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's a little late, but is it possible that the transfer case was in neutral while being towed? That would cause it to roll even in park.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Pulling the axle shaft is easy enough to check, but I'd still take a second look at that ring and pinion, if it's actually pitted that badly, it won't last long as it is. May be time for a replacement axle.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear if the bolts are in place attaching the brake drum and outer flange on axle shaft.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the axle itself is broken, would it be easy to jack the rear end up a bit ( no brakes...chock front wheels for safety, transmission locked in park ), and check for loose wheel by feel?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Still waiting to hear if the bolts are in place attaching the brake drum and outer flange on axle shaft.
I have seen this to, most of the bolts were loose and fell out and the remaining few eventually sheared off. The way the axle fits into the end of the hub on the 10.25, this can happen without leaking any oil...

Have seen rusted axles to the point of failure, at splines or just in the shaft itself. Have also seen loose wheel bearings cause extreme axle spline/side gear wear.

Hawk601

Reaction score
Everything (bolts, pin, gears) seem good. Just found out that the guy I got the truck from had to have the driver side bearings replaced because the axle tried to walk out due to bearing failure. Will be pulling axle tomorrow.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you could have gotten it home, and right now, could still park it without rolling, if you lock the front hubs and put it into 4WD.