drive it like you stole it or baby it?

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I got my truck last year I've had a lot of guys check it out when im at the gas station or whatever since it's from AZ and I'm in northern IL, I'd say 75% tell me I need to drive it like I'm mad at it or it won't run right. Any truth to this? I figure this must be the definitive forum to pose this question!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It does have some merits. If you putt around town a lot it can lead to carboned up rings and glazed cylinder walls. Its not really the putting around that causes it, its the low combustion temps. But it takes a lot of putting around to cause that.

Its good to throw a load behind it, and get the temps up for a while. It really does help things out. My truck runs the best it ever does after I have towed something.

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my truck like every black puff I leave at a stop sign may be it's last. No reason in particular, I've just always been that way. When I go to start the truck to go to work it usually starts within the first 2 engine rotations (no glow plugs). It idles fantastic and the only under hood issue I know of right now is the flange gasket for the exhaust inlet of the turbo is blown out and the ac compressor needs to be replaced

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to drive it like an idiot everyday, everywhere, just make sure you work it good once in a while to burn off any combustion accumulations. I know my Dodge runs better after towing in the mountains, I don't see why the IDI would be any different.
Travis..

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while ago, I posted here about something I had read about on a different forum; an Italian tuneup. Its when you drive at or near redline for extended periods of time, atleast 10 minutes. It was referenced for a mercedes diesel and the recommended RPM there was 4500 rpm. So for the IDI, that RPM sweet spot is around 3000. Many here on this forum agreed that it would do no harm, and could be beneficial similar to the way a heavy load helps remove carbon deposits.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Agree, with a stock governor speed, you should be able to run at governed speed all day provided you keep an eye on your gauges of course.
Travis..

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's high time for me to get out & tow a Winnebago down the interstate!

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
I live around 3500' up in the Sierras so giving the ol beast a workout is never an issue. I pull the grade from 2k' to 3k' in fourth with 4:10 gears at 65 and let her scream her way up the hill everyday. Doesn't help fuel mileage much but I cruise downhill to work in 5th so I guess I kinda evens itself out. Although the last time I trailered a Dodge from 1500' to 4000' my mileage was roughly the same. Let er scream every now and then and she'll thank ya!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online