DP Tuner chip install headache.....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
....my bud got a F5 DPTuner from a guy in TX that is less than a year old and I was "trying" :frustrate: to install it for him yesterday......-cuss

Did all the nermal cleanup stuffs--contact cleaner and Q-tips, dilectric grease etc....

Seems the plug board won't seat right on the PCM board :confused:
Have to "touch" it just right to get to power up and then of course if the wire shakes or I touch it it kills the eng.....

Any ideas? My bud watched the guy remove it and was 100 percent fine when he bought it and the 3 gauge pillar pod :confused::confused:

Also noticed there is a mounting position difference from my '96 and his '97---mine is vertical and his is horizontal :dunno

RenoF250

Reaction score
I can't see how his PCM would have a bad edge connector so I would guess the connector on the chip is crappy. Do all of the pins look okay and springy? You might have to get a sharp poker and straighten them around. I am guessing one moved out of their slots and is holding the board from going all of the way on.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
has the truck your installing the chip in had a chip in before?
it is posible that the board needs retinned, Ive seen the contact area wore off,
usually when I install a chip I add some solder on the board

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I am guessing one moved out of their slots and is holding the board from going all of the way on.

I need to post a pic, but I will look at that for sure, :thanks: Reno!

usually when I install a chip I add some solder on the board

No Nick, this truck is a chip ******! The cover cap on the PCM had some real nice tension holding it.

The I take it you must remove the PCM, because I can barely see the contacts, much less any of the board/contacts :dunno

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didnt remove the PCM to do the initial install? I would recommend pulling it to be sure you are seated properly with the chip. It sounds like its not on the board all the way to me.

tjl

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Go to DP Tuner's site. They have detailed instructions on how to install their chips. If you have any other problems Jody and Diane are great people to deal with.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Mike, on my '96, the PCM is mounted vertical and I have twice the room to see and maneuver......On my bud's '97 it is mounted horizontal and for the life of me I can not get the stinkin' thing out :frustrate :frustrate :confused:

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
for the life of me I can not get the stinkin' thing out :frustrate :frustrate :confused:

I imagine your problem with the chip is that you need to pull out the pcm and clean the contacts better. I have never heard of anyone having any luck cleaning them without removing the pcm.

You have to pull the inner fenderwell out of the way to remove the pcm if I remember correctly. Been may years since I have had mine out.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
OK cool, seems the PCM does have to come out----where is the plug to disconnect it, or will it be evident when I move the inner fender?

I'll get a pic so you guys don't think I'm loosing it LOL;Sweet

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
The plug is on the front of the PCM under the hood between the brake booster and the fender - on the firewall. You remove the plug before you remove the PCM. If I recall there is a small 10mm bolt through the middle of the plug that holds it on. No plugs hidden inside - just the one on the outside. After you undo the plug and move the inner fenderwell out of the way there are two 10mm nuts, one on top and one below the PCM, which holds the PCM mounting plate to the firewall. You can reach the upper nut through the hood and the lower nut through the fenderwell access.

Two pictures attached. One of PCM installed and one with it half out - see the hand up through the inner fender? The pics are very small for your dial-up so get out a magnifying glass ;)

Attachments

• PCM location.jpg
    PCM location.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 7
  • pcm location with hand.jpg
    pcm location with hand.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 15

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I have had them really tight to come out.
also dont need to take the inner fender out completely, just remove 2 small bolts and pry it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:thanks: Crummy !----hey man, you only gots 3 finners on that meat hook LOL

Looking at the pic, it does appear to be comming out horizontaly cookoo