Downpipe Heat Tape Vs. Blanket

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have we come to a consensus regarding the use of heat tape on the downpipe vs. commonly used blanket material?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sure on this one. I'm planning to use header wrap on mine. Then I'll have a universal blanket covering the top of the wiring and cables for added insurance.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ceramic coating. If you are in a area that seas a lot of road salt, wrap can hold moisture.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Was mostly curious to know if heat wrap provided enough exhaust flow benefit to make it worth wrapping. I've got a roll in my shop and considered wrapping the down pipe while I've got the heads off for head gaskets.

WisconsinIDI

Reaction score
I used wrap on my banks downpipe and my uppipes still had good aluminum factory wrap on them, so I left those on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back half of the downpipe on my '93 has the aluminum on it, and that's it on the pipes. The PO put the rest over the AC box.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the wrap and the spray. What are you running for your downpipe?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the banks on the '90 and a Diamond eye that was from the OBS powerstroke kit on the '94. Both needed work to fit, but the banks does bolt up to the turbo, just needs to be mated to whatever you are running for an exhaust system. Do a search, lots of information on the different down pipe arrangements...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online