Double Cut Keys

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probably been a few months since I saw Agnems post about the keys but I hadn't forgot about it, I was at the hardware store yesterday and it poped into my head. I told the guy what I wanted to do, he said he didn't think it would work but I got him to do it anyway. It works awesome! Notch up starts the Truck and the other way my Capri.
You have to find somewhere that still cuts by hand, all the big chains have automated machines. Great way to lighten the key load for thos of you that own 2 fords. If I had to guess I would say all the ford trucks from 1980 to 1997 have the same key design. Does that sound right?

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15611&highlight=double

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT'S AN OLD TRICK

Those keys go way back into the seventies, maybe the sixties.

My 1972 F-250 has the same style as my 1985 f-350.

There is only one catch; some are off-set opposite; in other words, the shank looks the same, but it won't go in the hole.

Also, as a general rule, door keys will be off-set opposite to ignition keys on the same vehicle.

My 1972 is an exception to that rule; as, the door and ignition key are both off-set the same.

Here is Agnem's thread:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15611

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The automatic machines can still do them, I've never seen a machine that cut both sides of the key at once, i.e. the operator still has to flip the blank over to cut the other side.

Now whether or not the minimum wage employee understands how to do it is another question.

There have been multiple Ford 2 sided key blanks, so not all are interchangeable. They had to alter the blanks to cut down on duplicate keys in different cars.

Up to 85-1/2, most Fords used a seperate 5 cut key for the doors and ignition.

Starting in 1985-1/2, the 2 keys were combined into a 10 cut key, the 6 tip cuts operate the ignition, the 6 handle (bow) cuts operate the door. The 2 middle cuts overlap to both.

Some post 85-1/2 vehicles continued to use the 5 cut keys before they were switched over, there is no definite changeover date for all Fords.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One caveat...
'92 and up often have "10cut" cylinders. '70 - '91 have "8cut" cylinders and/or offset differently.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '69 Falcon and the '70 F250 used that style of key. The '67 Bronco used a one sided key like the ones in the photo.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saves even more space on the key ring if you have a fleet of Fords. At one point, I had the Ranger, Moose Truck, Bronco, Lady Moose, Windstar, and a parts truck all sharing keys. LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put door locks out of my 79 truck done up to match the new lock cyl. in the 91 one less key, now if I could put ford locks in the garage ,house, jeeps, vw's, camper. lol