Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I drove it around today, I do have plenty of heat, and it appears not to be overheating, but I think something is wrong. The drivers side/bottom of the radiator stays COLD, it is almost like the water pump is not working. It appears that the thermostat is opening and closing as I can watch my factory temp gauge fluctuate. The top radiator hose holds has pressure when warm, and the rad is transferring fluid to the overflow bottle and back.

Don't think it is an Air Bubble in the system,..does that happen on these 4bta's?

The water pump and the thermostat are both new as well,...

I am concerned with it, but cant do anything with it until Monday, Ill bring it back to the shop and pull the water pump and go from there.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I drove it around today, I do have plenty of heat, and it appears not to be overheating, but I think something is wrong. The drivers side/bottom of the radiator stays COLD, it is almost like the water pump is not working. It appears that the thermostat is opening and closing as I can watch my factory temp gauge fluctuate. The top radiator hose holds has pressure when warm, and the rad is transferring fluid to the overflow bottle and back.

Don't think it is an Air Bubble in the system,..does that happen on these 4bta's?

The water pump and the thermostat are both new as well,...

I am concerned with it, but cant do anything with it until Monday, Ill bring it back to the shop and pull the water pump and go from there.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I messed with it last night, and drove it back to the shop this morning, My temp gun broke on me, so when I got to the shop this morning, I grabbed Bobs temp gun. The thermostat housing was only 140, and the rest of the motor was was under 190. So we believe that everything is fine. I do see the stock temp gauge fluctuate and it never gets higher than the "O" on "NORMAL" so I don't believe that anything is overheating. The temp sender is located on the thermostat housing. I am also getting plenty of heat.

I ordered a new mechanical temp gauge this morning and will get it installed today.

It is just odd that I never really noticed this issue before, I think the radiator is overkill for this motor and is doing a great job cooling it down. I also am more aware of what the motor is doing because of just doing head gaskets, and NOT having a Mechanical Temp Gauge, made me investigate it more while it was running so it wouldn't blow out again. Just thinking what did I do wrong,....?

So for now I say were good to go and will work on getting the plow installed, hooking up the tack, and other misc items.

Oh by the way,..Its snowing,..maybe an inch or so today, well see,..

RoyBoy

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
So is it OK for it to snow yet? Apparently the weather has been waiting for Droopy to be completed. :D Nice job on the conversion :thumbsup:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a cool project Darrin. I hope you don't have anymore issues and can start enjoying the fruits of your labor. Can't wait to see it one of these days. Is it going to make it to the Rally with Big Ed in the summer? Sure hope so.

Heath

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So is it OK for it to snow yet? Apparently the weather has been waiting for Droopy to be completed. :D Nice job on the conversion :thumbsup:

Thanks Man,..We have defiantly been blessed not having any snow to plow yet,..But is done, and will be ready to plow when the snow decides to show up!

What a cool project Darrin. I hope you don't have anymore issues and can start enjoying the fruits of your labor. Can't wait to see it one of these days. Is it going to make it to the Rally with Big Ed in the summer? Sure hope so.

Heath

Thanks Heath, I am ready to start using the truck as well, Been a long drawn out project with lots of non planned issues,.but that is how it goes sometimes,.I know I am not telling you anyghing ;Really

Not sure if it will make the Rally or not, Maybe I can tow it on the tow dolly behind the 5ver,....:sly

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Well I got the new Temp Gauge hooked up and as I suspected, It is all GOOD TO GO! No overheating at all, the temp does not go over 190 deg, and I can see it fluctuate with the opening of the thermostat. Looks like I need to install my winterfronts that I dont use on Big Ed anymore to keep it warmer. I will see how it behaves once I install the plow.

So at this point, Big Ed will be parked in the warm shop for the winter, and Droopy will be my Daily Driver. I will be working on it as needed, but as of now I consider it Drivable, and Plow Ready!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So at this point, Big Ed will be parked in the warm shop for the winter, and Droopy will be my Daily Driver. I will be working on it as needed, but as of now I consider it Drivable, and Plow Ready!
BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats ;Sweet and here's to hoping nothing else happens...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I blew another head gasket,...dont know what the hell to do at this point,.....

:eek:

OH NO DARRIN!!! That sucks! Man, I've been there and are still dealing with that issue. Nothing is more disheartening than to put all that work into a project and have something continue to be a problem. Any chance the deck or head or both have some warping? May be why the gasket has failed again. Especially if it is #2 again.

Hang in there buddy.

Heath

wmoguy

Reaction score
Darn that stinks Darrin! Hope you get the root cause diagnosed soon! I'm dying to see some video of that thing lugging down pushing snow!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I concur with Heath... I suspect a bad head (warped) I know that on the 6bt when the exhaust manifold tweeks the head up it will cause gasket failure but then the head is warped. But it's the front hole that leaks right by the tstat housing not the 2nd hole like yours. I passed it off on mine as tstat leaking but learned otherwise with the amount of boost I was running (35psi gauge would slam high under hard accel).

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was thinking warped head as well. Since it sounds like your going to go through the pain of taking it off again maybe you should send it to a machine shop to get checked out?

I would think the 4bt would be less prone to the head warpage due to the exhaust manifold...just for the pure fact that the head isnt as long as a 6bt?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't say anything that hasn't been said already about the condition of the head, etc, but good lord this sucks...I had really hoped that you had seen the last of the teething problems. :cry: