1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing install of Wes's turbo kit

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by 84 4x4, Mar 21, 2020.

1. aggiediesel01

aggiediesel01 Full Access Member

Not you bud.....In the pics graciously shared by hanc the CDR is mounted on the valve cover backward from its normal orientation. The nipple in the middle of the CDR/tuna can is normally facing the turbo but this one is custom mounted backwards with some long bolts. Only reason I can think of would be for a Road Draft Tube. I just didn't want any confusion for someone who's never seen one before. ;)

Your CDR valve on the back of your intake is the correct one, it just has to be removed and mounted to the valve cover the correct way :) It's all in the instructions.

84 4x4 and Thewespaul like this.
  2. 84 4x4

84 4x4 Registered User

Engine installed. Fired up and ran rough for thirty some seconds and died. this was 3 days ago.
    Still cannot get it to start.
    Killed a set of tired batteries.
    Put in new 850 cca batteries. Cranks like a bat outa hell now. Getting white smoke from exhaust.
    Still not starting.
    Pulled wire on IP solenoid with key on, heard clicking.
    Pulled 3 glow plugs (Beru installed last summer) and hooked up to battery and nothing.

The glow plugs are on a manual switch, and they have worked for the last six months.
    Looks like they are dead. they are wet when pulled out. not swollen or anything.

HELP!

3. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Sounds like your relay failed or a wire came loose, you can stick a heat gun in the intake to get it to fire without plugs or ether.

4. 84 4x4

84 4x4 Registered User

I checked voltage at the glow plug connector, 12.57 volts on my Fluke meter. Is this the right voltage?

I took 3 glow plugs, connected them one at a time to jumpers on the battery positive to connector and negative to threads, and did not get hot, measured resistance from probe to threads and got 1.5 mega ohms. (don't know if this means anything)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 6:03 PM
  5. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

12.57 at the glow plug connector is normal, that means voltage is getting past your relay and your wiring is good, must be you have enough dead plugs that it cant fire.

6. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Did your controller fail in the on position like the 6.9 style is known to do?

7. DaveBen

DaveBen Supporting Member Supporting Member

Your glow plugs should read about 1 ohm. Yours is reading infinity ohms or open. No connection to the glow plug internally.